12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 23, 2009 11:05 AM by joshonefive

layout: not permitted

joshonefive

Title

layout: not permitted

Hey guys,

I'm unable to view the layouts in my database and am logged in as admin. When I select "View->Go to Layout" I get "<not permitted>". Any advice?

Thanks,

Josh 

• 1. Re: layout: not permitted
          TSGal

joshonefive:

Thank you for your post.

I have a feeling that you may not be logged in with full access privileges.  Pull down the File menu and select "Manage -> Accounts & Privileges".  If it is unavailable, then you are not logged in with full access privileges.  If you do have full access privileges, then I can only assume the layout is somehow corrupt.  I would either use a previous copy of the database file, or create a new layout.

You could run a Recover (File menu) on the file and see if any errors occurred.  Try opening the recovered file and see if the issue continues.

TSGal

FileMaker, Inc. 

• 2. Re: layout: not permitted
            joshonefive

TSGal,

Thanks for the response. I am logged in w/ full access privilege under the only admin account - The Accounts & Privs menu is available for me. 

I discovered there was a script that was locking down the database upon opening. 

The database it hosted on FileMaker Server 9Adv and is a FileMaker Pro 9 Database. Do I have to take the database down in order to run a recover?

Thanks,

Josh 

• 3. Re: layout: not permitted
              philmodjunk

"I discovered there was a script that was locking down the database upon opening. "

Why not just modify/disable or delete this script?

If this is a script that performs when the file opens, go to File Options and uncheck the box that specifies a script be run when the file opens.

• 4. Re: layout: not permitted
                joshonefive

Phil,

I did disable the script and was then able to view the layouts. Sorry I didn't indicate that in my previous message. 

I didn't want to disable the whole script, so I only disabled the lock layout step. 

Thanks though, good to know you're still on here! :smileyhappy:

Josh 

• 5. Re: layout: not permitted
                  philmodjunk

If that fixed the problem, then you shouldn't need to recover the file.

If you do need to recover a file, you would want to take the file down off the server first.

• 6. Re: layout: not permitted
                    mrvodka

Take a look at the custom menus before doign a recover. It may be as simple as that a custom menu is in place.

*Edit - sorry didnt see the other posts.

• 7. Re: layout: not permitted
                      joshonefive

OK, Thanks! What does recovering the file do in general?

• 8. Re: layout: not permitted
                        joshonefive

How do I check to see if a custom menu is in place?

• 9. Re: layout: not permitted
                          philmodjunk

joshonefive wrote:

OK, Thanks! What does recovering the file do in general?

Recovering a file is a combination of a top to bottom "cat scan" and a "jaws of life" data rescue operation. When you run the recover, the process reports back whether it found any problems and also logs the results in a text file--that's the cat scan portion.

If it then encounters problems, it tries to repair the file by fixing whatever problem was encountered. In some cases, this involves deleting portions of your database structure in order to get the data into a format that you can "rescue" by importing the data into an undamaged back up copy--"the Jaws of Life" part of the process.

Along the way, it rebuilds all indexes--which are used by filemaker to sort and find data--from scratch.

Because the recover may have changed your file in unexpected ways, it's always been "best practice" to replace damaged files with a back up copy rather than rely on recover to properly repair your file.

• 10. Re: layout: not permitted
                            joshonefive

Thanks Phil, that was very detailed!

Josh 

• 11. Re: layout: not permitted
                              mrvodka
                                 Its a feature of Pro Advanced.
                              • 12. Re: layout: not permitted
                                joshonefive
                                   I only have FileMaker 9 Pro...