13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2011 5:27 PM by HSalls

Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?

HSalls

Title

Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?

I'm on a Windows machine, using FM Pro Advanced v11.  This is a database solution written by someone else in FM5 and brought up to FM Pro Adv V11.

I need to resize the page(s) to allow more space for buttons and objects.  In my research, I did find one post in these same forums here back in 2009 with an instruction.  But when I go to the far left side and double click on the "Body" or "Header" or Footer" marker, all I get is a panel that opens with a lot of Part Definition info but no selection to increase the physical size of the Body/Header/Footer.  So I'm stuck in an 8.5 in by 8.5 in box which the original designer has set.

There must be a way to increase or adjust an already existing page's size.  I've looked high and low.  Visited Edit > Preferences but no help there.  Exposed the Rulers and attempted dragging but that's not it.  I think these adjustments are supposed to be in that left hand side somewhere but I can't locate the control.

Does anyone here know how to make this adjustment?

Thanks.

H

• 1. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
          philmodjunk

You can use the mouse to drag part boundaries up or down to resize them.

If you select a part by clicking (not double-clicking) the part label, you can then use the Height box in the Inspector's position tab to change the height of that layout part. (And you can click the dimensions next to these boxes to cycle through different units until you get pixels--if that makes it easier to adjust things.)

• 2. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
            DavidJondreau

Keep in mind when viewing the layout on the screen there is no limit to the width. Well, there is, but it's way mire than you'll ever use.

The line you see on the right is a printing guide only. Unless you're printing the layout, you can ignore it. If you do want to print, you change the width by choosing a different paper size under Page Setup.

• 3. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
              philmodjunk

And you can also specify right and left margins in layout setup that will reposition the line David mentions.

• 4. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                HSalls

OK, I see now.

But the widths are all greyed out.  And it so happens that's what I really want.  There's so much screen real estate on the right.

I exposed "Inspector" (didn't occur to me) and single left click on, say "Body".  And, yes I do see I can change denominations to px, cm, in and so forth.  So, I can change height but width is unchangable. 

Is there another Preference I should look for?  Great help here.  For us new users....

H

• 5. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                  DavidJondreau

Which part of my answer wasn't clear? There is no width setting for layout parts. You can use all that real estate without changing a thing. Try it, place something on the right and see what happens....

• 6. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                    HSalls

OK, David - you're absolutely right.  I failed to read it carefully. 

Visually, I was sort of bounded by the color being imposed.  I guess there are probably elements controlled under the Inspector that do get a specific width, just not these.

But wait - I cannot drag anything past the right hand boundary! - Which sits at 8.5 in.  If I go beyond 8.5 inches, the object disappears and a "circle with slash" appears, preventing me from dropping it beyond 8.5 in.  I'm still missing a step, I believe.

Sorry to be "dense"...

H

• 7. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                      philmodjunk

Go to layout setup... (Click the pencil icon next to the layout drop down while in layout mode.)

And click the printing tab. I think your layout is set up to print in columns.

Clear this setting if you do not intend to print in columns.

• 8. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                        HSalls

Hello Phil -

Alright - it must be something else because neither selection on the Printing tab is on.  Now I went and created a new database from scratch - just a couple of fields to experiment.  Switched to Layout mode and it doesn't have the boundaries that the solution I'm working on does.

Once I find out what is causing this, it's going to have to go because the size is just too constricting.

If you have any other ideas on this mystery, I'm all ears!

H

• 9. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                          philmodjunk

If you want, you can use the controls below the Post A Answer box to upload a screen shot of your layout while in layout mode.

Perhaps your layout or the file is damaged. (I've seen this before)

Try creating a brand new layout in the same file and reproduce your original layout, but do not copy any objects from the original layout when you do so. (That can copy the damage along with the copied object.)

Try performing a recover on your file and see what is reported and check this layout in the recovered copy even if no problems were reported by the recover.

Things to keep in mind about Recover:

1. Recover does not detect all problems
                          2. Recover doesn't always fix all problems correctly
                          3. Best Practice is to never put a recovered copy back into regular use or development. Instead, replace the damaged file with an undamaged back up copy if this is at all possible. You may have to save a clone of the back up copy and import all data from your recovered copy to get a working copy with the most up to date information possible.
                          • 10. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                            DavidJondreau

I've never seen the behavior you describe...Either something very weird or something very basic is going on...

• 11. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                              HSalls

OK, here's a screenshot.  It may be helpful if I include the fact that this solution was migrated two months ago from an extremely old version of FM5.  Guess what - when I go "Layout > New Layout > {Select Blank} - I get the exact same results.  I repeated this and used {Select Form} and again, same result.  Ran Recovery on SVdP Intake Form.fp7 - reports no errors.

Awaiting any further instructions...

H

• 12. Re: Layouts - how to resize the layout palette?
                                philmodjunk

Ok, that explains it.

While in layotu mode, pull down the view menu and deselect "Page Margins".