5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2014 6:50 AM by philmodjunk

Layouts - Import/Export?

AndrewSpitaleri

Title

Layouts - Import/Export?

Can a layout be exported from one database and imported into another?  And if it can, where/how do I do this??

Thank you!!

A.

• 1. Re: Layouts - Import/Export?
          philmodjunk

Sort of.

The problem is that layouts are tightly connected to the Table Occurrence you specify in Layout Setup | Show Records From. You can select all layout objects and paste them into a new layout in a different (or the same) file. But if the underlying table occurrence has a different name or a different set of defined fields, you'll have a lot of "fixing" to do before the objects you pasted in will work on the new layout.

See: Importing Layouts

• 2. Re: Layouts - Import/Export?
            AndrewSpitaleri

Thank you - I figured as much.  I've copied/pasted before, but the "parts" don't copy and it ends up just a mess...I haven't tried copying/pasting part by part yet, as this seems to be tedious...any suggestions?  I'm working from FM10 to FM13...

A.

• 3. Re: Layouts - Import/Export?
              philmodjunk

My suggestions are laid out in the step by step directions in the link posted in my previous response. To get the layout parts to match, you set the position boxes in the inspector to show dimensions in points/pixels and then click each part in turn to note the height. Then click over to the new layout and create matching parts, entering the noted heights into the height box to get each the same size as the original.

• 4. Re: Layouts - Import/Export?
                AndrewSpitaleri

Yes - I read the post.  The parts were still a question, but thank you for clarifying.

Thank you for all your help!!!!

A.

• 5. Re: Layouts - Import/Export?
                  philmodjunk

From the other thread:

In layout mode, you can click the units to the right of the size/position boxes on the inspector's position tab until you get pixels (points in FMP 12). Then you can click each layout part label and note the height of each. You can then select layout part labels on your target layout and edit their heights to match. Any additional layout parts such as sub summary layout parts will have to be manually added and sized at this time as well.