1 2 3 Previous Next 32 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2010 5:05 PM by jjones@creatacor.com

Leading problems Postscript Type 1 Fonts under Snow Leopard

pfabris

Title

Under Mac OS 10.6, using Filemaker 9 or 10, Type 1 Postscript fonts have severe leading changes on Filemaker Layouts and in Filemaker Fields.  Leading is extended or contracted, resulting in layouts not appearing properly and text running out of space in fields where it previously fit.

Under Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5, using Filemaker 8 through Filemaker 10, leading for Postscript Type 1 font has been consistent.

I've posted a file that displays the differences here: 

http://marketconnections.com/misc/fm_snowleopard_leading.html 

More Details: 

Upon upgrading to Mac OS X 10.6, opening the same file, with exactly the same font installed, leading is dramatically altered.  It is most noticable using the Agfa Rotis SemiSans font family, but I have tested with other common Adobe fonts, such as Univers and Adobe Garamond, and the problem is the same.  Leading either increases or decreases depending on the font.  So much so that some layouts are significanlty altered, and printing from 10.6 will yeild much different results than under previous versions of Mac OS.  In many cases, text will no longer fit in fields where it once did.  On layouts that have been tightly formatted to fit a certain body of text, suddenly the text gets clipped.

Agfa Rotis Semisans

When viewing the same file, the same layout using the copy of Agfa Rotis Semisans Postscript Type 1, without changing anything, under Mac OS X 10.6, it is roughly equivalent to setting the Line Spacing to a Height value of 1.25  under previous versions of Mac OS.

Adobe Univers

When viewing a layout that uses Adobe Univers, under Mac OS X 10.6, it is roughly equivalent to setting the Line Spacing to a Height value of 1.1 under previous versions of Mac OS.

Adobe Garamond

The opposite effect occurs with the Adobe Garamond font.  Under 10.6, leading is much tighter than under previous versions of Mac OS.

Other observations:

My fonts are in good shape.  My Adobe fonts come directly off my Font Folio 9 CD.  My Agfa font was purchased from Type.com and I installed directly from the archived files I downloaded when I purchased the font.  Fontbook reports no problems.  I also cleaned my 10.6 font caches using YASU just to make sure, but doing this did not affect output from Filemaker Pro.

The problem seems to be limited to Type 1 fonts.  I tested layouts using TrueType and Opentype fonts.  When switching between operating system versions, layouts with TT and OT fonts printed identically, under any Mac OS and Filemaker 9 and 10.  (I tested Verdana, Tahoma and Warnock Pro).

My 10.6 OS was clean installed on a blank drive.  Filemaker 9 and 10 were installed off the original media, and upgraded to v3 using Filemaker updaters.

This problem did *not* occur when I tested the same fonts using TextEdit under 10.5 and 10.6.  TextEdit rendered the leading identically under both OSes using all the fonts mentioned above.

1 2 3 Previous Next