1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 26, 2013 7:23 AM by philmodjunk

League Standings for Sport Teams

JimHealey_1

Title

League Standings for Sport Teams

I am creating a historical record for a league that has football, basketball, soccer, baseball, etc.  I have added the results from each contest from 1928 to the present.  However, I'm getting lost trying to use this data to calculate team standings by season, as well as create a won-loss record against opponents by sport.  Basically, there are 8 schools, they play a number of sports, at different levels (varsity, B, C, etc.) and have coaches associated with each.  I'm not concerned about players at this time.

I have a Team File (Team ID, Team, Coach, Coach ID); a Games File (year, sport, level, winner, loser, winner score, loser score) and a Sport File (Sport, level).  I did not think I needed to add a School File for the school names, though I understand that each team is associated with a school.

Creating the standings layout has my stumped as creating the relationships leaves me scratching my head..  Using Filemaker 11 on a mac. Suggestions appreciated

• 1. Re: League Standings for Sport Teams
          philmodjunk

For starters, you have a many  to many relationship between teams and games. A team will play many games and any game is played by two teams.

Start with these relationships:

Teams-----<Team_Game>-----Games

Teams::__pkTeamID = Team_Game::_fkTeamID
               Games::__pkGameID = Team_Game::_fkGameID

You can place a portal to Team_Game on the Teams layout to list and select a Games record for each given Teams record. Fields from Games can be included in the Portal to show additional info about each selected Games record and the _fkGameID field can be set up with a value list for selecting Games records by their ID field.

With that set up, the season, date, location, league/nonleague game status type data is entered in Games. The final scores and possibly a win/loss field would be kept in Team_Game.

And the data in Team_Game can be set up in a number of ways to show league standings for a given team in a given season.