4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2012 1:32 PM by philmodjunk

Leave out duplicates

PeterMontague

Title

Leave out duplicates

I am making a picking list for my warehouse. I have received great help from the forum's contributors to help me sort the picking order in terms of location. I have several titles listed in many locations. I only want to pick one of each of those titles. But when I print the picking list in order of location the list prints the same title to be picked many times in its different locations. I would like to omit the duplicated titles. This would save the warehouse staff lots of time. I tried using the ! function but it is not working for me. I'm sure there is a very simple way of listing each title only once and in the optimum location. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Leave out duplicates
          philmodjunk

How do you define "optimum location"?

One way to drop out duplicate entries in a report is to replace the body layout with a sub summary part "when sorted by" the field that contains the duplicate data. This takes a list like:

apple
          apple
          Orange
          Kiwi
          Kiwi
          Kiwi

and returns:

apple
          Orange
          kiwi

• 2. Re: Leave out duplicates
            PeterMontague
            Ok I tried something like this: I made a summary field called count of titles. Then I inserted a sub summary when sorted by title. It doesn't seem to have eliminated the duplicates from view. Now in table view I can see a list of titles that are now separated by blank lines. You asked what I meant earlier by optimum location: I mean the location with the lowest box numb.
            • 3. Re: Leave out duplicates
              PeterMontague
              *number*
              • 4. Re: Leave out duplicates
                philmodjunk

BTW, you can click "Edit" to correct typos you spot after clicking the Post Answer button.

You missed this key phrase: "replace the body layout with a sub summary part"

Remove the body layout part from your layout so that you only have the sub summary part. Put your title and summary field in that sub summary part.

Make sure to sort records by Title whenever you bring up this report.

If box number is a field of type number (not text), you can define a summary field as the "minimum of box number" and include it in the sub summary part to list the smallest box number.