1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 6:52 AM by philmodjunk

Legacy Filemaker Problems, Calculations, Calc fields

FredShowker

Title

Legacy Filemaker Problems, Calculations, Calc fields

How do you access and EDIT the calculation in a calculation field created in Filemaker 5 ???

The database works perfectly, as I programed it ten years ago, but now in this latest version of FMP, they've moved everything, and renamed everything and taken away all of the keyboard commands and I'm crippled.

This field gathers other field ontents to form text entry . All I want to do is change the field order in the calculation.

How do you CREATE a NEW calculation field.

I'm used to clicking "New Field" ... type = Calculation ... Edit ... and get the window where you tell it which fields you want combined in the field. Today, I cannot even find the "New Field" command.

:-(

I've used FileMaker since it was introduced... day ONE.

• 1. Re: Legacy Filemaker Problems, Calculations, Calc fields
          philmodjunk

They made a lot of changes between 5 and 11 or 12--whichever you are now using. One of the biggest changes is that you now can have multiple tables in one file where you had to have one table per file in version 5.

To define a new field or modify an existing definition:

Select Manage | Database | Fields and you'll see a window for defining fields much like FileMaker 5, but with a drop down for selecting the table added.

Or

Enter Table View and click the + --- I'm not a big fan of this option but it is a way to add a new field if you have the DB open with a full access password.