1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2011 8:54 AM by philmodjunk

Length of stay or duration

sly_1

Title

Length of stay or duration

Im tryign to figure a way to do this and raking my brain.

I have 3 feilds

start date

lenght of program (weeks) Monday to friday

Completion date

i need to do start date +  lenght of program (weeks) Monday to friday = Completion date

any help would be awsome

Sly

• 1. Re: Length of stay or duration
          philmodjunk

StartDateField + LengthOfProgramField * 7

Will compute the completion date. Date fields are really just number fields that count days, but with special formatting to display that value in a date format.

• 2. Re: Length of stay or duration
            sly_1

will this give me completion date and exclude Sat and sun

• 3. Re: Length of stay or duration
              philmodjunk

I assumed your start date was never on Sat or Sun. If so, it will never return a date on those days as it always adds a multiple of 7 days to the start date. If your start date is ever on a Sat or Sun--that doesn't match what you posted originally--then a more sophisticated calculation would be needed.

• 4. Re: Length of stay or duration
                sly_1

worked great thank you. For the other half of my problem.

length of stay is the max they can stay.

atticipated end date i now need.

m. 4.5hrs

t. 4.5

w. 4.5

t. 4.5

f. 4.5

StartDateField + LengthOfProgramField * 7 = when teh course ends

how would i calculate when they should end based on attendance

Hope this makes scence

• 5. Re: Length of stay or duration
                  philmodjunk

I don't follow. I can see your example specifies 4.5 hours for each day, but can you give an example of "when they should end based on attendance" as a paper and pencil calculation here?

• 6. Re: Length of stay or duration
                    sly_1

Ok lEt me try LOL

Start Date = Mar 1st 2011

length of program = 311 weeks

Course finish date = feb 14th 2017

StartDateField + LengthOfProgramField * 7 ( that how we solved that )

so now the come to teh course monday to friday for 4.5 hrs a day = 22.5 hrs a week

they started mar 1st 2011

length of program is 311 weeks

they come 22.5 hrs a week

how would i calculate there actual end time based on their schedule

hope this makes more scence

• 7. Re: Length of stay or duration
                      philmodjunk

End time?

That word "end" is confusing here. Do you want the total time spent in these meetings in hours? in this example that would then be 22.5 hrs/week * 311 weeks = 6997.5 hours?

If so, are the hours each day in different fields of the same record or are they in different records--making up a set of related records?

Is the hours per day the same for each week?

• 8. Re: Length of stay or duration
                        sly_1

if student starts his course mar 1st 2011 and the length of the course is 311 weeks and he comes 22.h hrs a week what day should he finish.

Hope that makes more scence

• 9. Re: Length of stay or duration
                          philmodjunk

Not really. What is the link between hours per week and the number of weeks? If the course is 311 weeks long won't he be finished in 311 weeks regardless of the hours per day or week?

• 10. Re: Length of stay or duration
                            sly_1

regardless the course ends in 311 weeks

so i need to figure out how many hrs a week they need to come to meet that goal.

length of program = 311 weeks

Course finish date = feb 14th 2017

StartDateField + LengthOfProgramField * 7 ( that how we solved that )

now i need to do this for hrs per week

length of program = 22.5 hrs per week (whatever the student agrres to)

Course finish date = 

i really hope this helps

• 11. Re: Length of stay or duration
                              philmodjunk

Still don't get it. Sorry but I'm not making the connection here. I can see that you've specified 22.5 hours per week, but the course finish date will be mar 1st 2011 no matter what according to your statement: "regardless the course ends in 311 weeks"

If you want to compute a different end date, there's more data needed. How many hours, maximum per day are possibile? 4.5 hours?, 5? 6? The same for every day? different for each day of the week?

You say: "i need to figure out how many hrs a week they need to come"

but then say: "22.5 hrs per week (whatever the student agrees to)"

That reads as a contradiction to me.

• 12. Re: Length of stay or duration
                                sly_1

Ok Lets try this

accounting diploma = 54 week program

StartDateField + LengthOfProgramField * 7 = Mar 1st 2012 ( that is no given hrs per week)

i would like a calculation feild to advise me of how many hrs per week they need to come to reach that goal.

example they come 40 hrs a week. what will be there course completion date

example they come 22.5 hrs a week. what will be there course completion date.

if they go over 54 weeks i lose money

so i need to determin how many hrs a week they need come to stay within the time frames of teh diploma.

that should make sence

• 13. Re: Length of stay or duration
                                  philmodjunk

Doesn't help. This is something that's probably very obvious to you, but I can't find it clearly stated in any of your posts.

How many hours per week = 54 weeks in your example?

Example:

Student agrees to 22.5 hours per week. If 22.5 hours per week = 54 weeks, then 54 week program will take 54 weeks. If program is set up for a 40 hours per week = 54 weeks, then 54 week program will take 40/22.5 * 54 = 96 weeks.

What I do not see is the link between hours per week and total weeks if student attends the maximum possible time per day. Nor do I see how you record this in your database.

• 14. Re: Length of stay or duration
                                    sly_1

ill give you a full structure on 1 diploma.

Accounting Clerk

weeks =25

hours = 564

tution = $6345.00

books = 220

Lab = $0

price = tution + books + Labs

hours / weeks =  22.56 Hrs  a week they need to do to complete the course on time

say there enrollment contract states they need to be at teh institue  37hrs a week.

I need to find out what the expected course completion day that would be.

Hope that makes more sence

Sly

1 2 Previous Next