1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 11, 2015 10:01 AM by schamblee

Licensing issue using Google Map in a private FileMaker database?

discopatrick

Title

Licensing issue using Google Map in a private FileMaker database?

I like the idea of using Google Maps in my FileMaker database to display customer addresses.

However, I'm aware that the Google Maps licensing terms state that the API is only free to use when the end product is "freely and publicly accessible": https://developers.google.com/maps/licensing

So it would be fine to use a Google Map on our customer facing marketing website. But, as our FileMaker database is only used privately, and not by the public, I believe it falls outside of these terms, and therefore requires us to buy a license for the Google Maps API for Work.

I imagine most FileMaker databases are being used privately, so it seems that any of them that use the GetMap function would need this paid license.

Am I missing something here?

• 1. Re: Licensing issue using Google Map in a private FileMaker database?
          schamblee

I'm not a lawyer, if you are afraid you are doing something wrong then contact a lawyer.  In my opinion each user is consider the public so you can use freely.   Google Maps does not want someone making like a vending type machine and charge for each time a person views / prints a map without paying them.   Several software solutions charge per transaction for different services that their software provides for example, tax software charge for efile, credit bureau interface for each report,  and text message send from computer.   Software companies charge like 5 cents per transaction and this is just for the access from your main software, not including what the service actually cost.