1 Reply Latest reply on May 16, 2014 4:35 PM by philmodjunk

Limit a value list to one customer type

donok

Title

Limit a value list to one customer type

Hello -- I see there are a lot of threads about this, but none seem to help with what I am looking to do.

I am using filemaker's business template for invoicing that pulls down all company names to help make an invoice - but, I have way too many names in my contacts, so I want the value list to show only Contacts who are customer type Retail.

Can I make a field in the Contacts table that calculates "Company Names whose Customer Type is Retail" and then use it as the value list?  What would that formula look like?

thanks for any help - Don

• 1. Re: Limit a value list to one customer type
          philmodjunk

You may need to change the field names, but it would look like this:

If ( CustomerType = "Retail" ; CompanyName )

And that can be used with "Option 1" in the forum tutorial link posted below:

There's a lot of overlap between the first two links so you can read one and skim the other. The demo file gives you several examples of different conditional value lists so you can examine them to see how they are set up. If you are using FileMaker 12 or later, you can open this demo file from your File menu to get a converted copy of the demo file that you can examine in your version of FileMaker.

The next to last link discusses how to set up a chain of conditional value lists where the value selected in each conditional value list controls the values listed in the next value list and the very last link is a fairly new addition that describes how to use ExecuteSQL to produce conditional value lists that aren't easily possible with the other methods described here.

Forum Tutorial: Custom Value List?

Knowledgebase article: http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5833/kw/conditional%20value%20list

Demo File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j6qf0z9fnem3uxd/ConditionalValueListDemo.fp7

Hierarchical Conditional Value lists: Conditional Value List Question

Using ExecuteSQL to produce a conditional value list: Using ExecuteSQL to Produce a Conditional Value List

Feel free to post follow up questions here if those links aren't enough to get your value lists working correctly.