4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2013 10:50 AM by philmodjunk

Limit of Fields per Record?

JanMoreland

Title

Limit of Fields per Record?

Is there a limit to the number of fields that can be in a record/row? I just added three fields, that's the only change I made, and now my script is unpredictable. I am trying to trace it's progress, but it seems to hang up in different places each time. 

• 1. Re: Limit of Fields per Record?
          Jade

There is a limit of 256 million fields or columns/record over the lifetime of the file in FileMaker Pro 12.  So I doubt that is causing your problem.

However, there is a limit of 99 columns on a page.

See the tech specs here:

http://help.filemaker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10026/kw/Technical%20Specifications

Can you post your script?

• 2. Re: Limit of Fields per Record?
            philmodjunk

To post a script to the forum:

1.           You can upload a screen shot of your script by using the Upload an Image controls located just below Post A Answer.
            3.           You can print a script to a PDF, open the PDF and then select and copy the script as text from the opened PDF to your clipboard for pasting here.
            5.           If You have FileMaker Advanced, you can generate a database design report and copy the script as text from there.
            7.           If you paste a text form of the script, you can use the Script Pretty box in the Known Bugs List database to paste a version that is single spaced and indented for a more professional and easier to read format.
            • 3. Re: Limit of Fields per Record?
              JanMoreland

Thank you for the specs sheet - good to have. My problem somehow cleared itself up. I had suspected the added fields because I had a similar problem recently after I had added some fields to my global table. I started a new global table and moved the new fields there and everything worked fine afterwards. So it is good to know I can add as many fields as I want.

That's also good to know about printing a script to a PDF. I don't know how to do it but I'll take your word for it.

Thanks again

• 4. Re: Limit of Fields per Record?
                philmodjunk

also good to know about printing a script to a PDF. I don't know how to do it but I'll take your word for it.

Open manage scripts.

Select a script.

Click the button at the bottom that shows a printer icon to print your script.

Select a Print to PDF utility as your "printer" if you are on windows or select the PDF option in the print dialog if you are on Mac.