4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 6:36 AM by leecy

Limit records access in related tables

leecy

Title

Limit records access in related tables

I am new to FM 13. I have created a Student Table with First and Last Name Fields. I want selected users to be able to add new records with student names in them. I have related the Student Table to a Course Table. The two tables are related through the ID fields.

Desired Scenario: I enter new records into the Student Layout. I enter course data related to each student into the Course Layout, but I don't want anyone to be able to change the student names in the Course Layout. The related ID field works fine but the Student Names allow entry changes.

I have tried prohibiting access to the Name fields, but when I do, I can't enter new records into the Student table. Hope I'm making sense.

Help is appreciated. Thanks. Leecy

• 1. Re: Limit records access in related tables
          philmodjunk

Adding new student records on the course layout doesn't really sound like the best design. Wouldn't it make more sense to put an  "add student" button on your course layout that takes authorized users to a layout based on your student table?

• 2. Re: Limit records access in related tables
            leecy

Thanks for the response,PhilModJunk. Maybe, as a beginner, I don't understand how different layouts work. I have a group of students, maybe up to 80-100. They will take courses. I need to keep track of who they are, their basic contact info, etc, keep track of what courses they take, and, eventually, keep track of their progress and completion in another table. Right now, I'm just playing with two tables: Students and Courses.

My impression was that the data entry people would go to a Courses Table in the layout. Then, as each record shows up or is brought up, they enter a checklist on the courses for which they sign up. In order to see the student for whom they are entering course info, I thought the student's name would show up but not able to be modified. That way, if Jane Doe signs up for two courses, the user would bring up her name and add the courses she was taking. Otherwise, how would the user know who to add the course to?

Not sure about how buttons work. I just need a really simple database, with three inter-related tables: Students (Primary), Courses, and Post Employment or Education. It appeared so simple. I have the names showing in the Courses layout, but the user is able to modify the name, which is what I want to avoid. I want the names to come from the Students Table but not-modifiable, just like the primary keys and field IDs show up.

Clear as mud? Much appreciated. Leecy

• 3. Re: Limit records access in related tables
              philmodjunk

My impression was that the data entry people would go to a Courses Table in the layout. Then, as each record shows up or is brought up, they enter a checklist on the courses for which they sign up. In order to see the student for whom they are entering course info, I thought the student's name would show up but not able to be modified. That way, if Jane Doe signs up for two courses, the user would bring up her name and add the courses she was taking. Otherwise, how would the user know who to add the course to?

This exactly matches what I am suggesting. Don't allow editing the student name on the Courses table.

I don't understand how different layouts work.
                        Not sure about how buttons work.
                        I just need a really simple database

But until you understand layouts and buttons, not even a "really simple database" is possible. I suggest that you invest some time in some training materials on FileMaker to gain the needed understanding.

• 4. Re: Limit records access in related tables
                leecy

Thanks so very much. That's hopeful. I'll go get info on buttons. Glad that the idea can work! Leecy