1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 26, 2011 3:04 PM by philmodjunk

limitations of IWP

ThomasWaldron

Title

limitations of IWP

Hello again. 

I'm looking into different options for upgrading our database. Right now we're running on Filemaker Pro 8.5 and it doesn't work as smoothly with our Mac OSX 10.6, and has never been fully utilized. Ideally we would like to have multiple people in the office able to work with the database simultaneously (I know the limitations and ways of doing this). I'm interested in knowing whether publishing the database to the web will be sufficient for what we need to do with it. 

We are looking at upgrading to Pro 11 or to another database/tracking program altogether. My question is regarding the IWP available on Filemaker Pro 11. I know IWP has certain limitations, but I'm having trouble tracking down exactly what those limitations are. In browsing through help and these forums I'm still not entirely clear on specifics. Is there a list somewhere of exactly what the limitations and differences are between IWP and full access to a database? 

I know that you can add, edit, duplicate, and delete records from a database.

I believe you can download and view items from containers (if they're stored in the database itself), but I think you can't *add* an item to an empty container, is this correct?

I know some scripts don't work, but others do if they are web compatible. How can you tell (without getting in there and trying it) if a script is going to be web compatible? Is there some list or guide of what would and wouldn't work? 

I believe you can't export records or reports into excel. Is this correct? Is there anything else you *can* export? 

Thank you in advance for any information you can give me. 

• 1. Re: limitations of IWP
          philmodjunk

You might want to download a free trial copy of FIleMaker 11 and see for yourself. In the downloads link at the top of this screen and in your  FileMaker 11 help menu are links to a PDF on IWP that you will want to read.

I believe you can download and view items from containers (if they're stored in the database itself), but I think you can't *add* an item to an empty container, is this correct?

From a web browser, you are correct that you can't upload, but you can also display store by reference images from containers if the files are located in the correct folder.

How can you tell (without getting in there and trying it) if a script is going to be web compatible?

Open the script editor and select Web Publishing from the Show Compatibility drop down. All incompatible steps will be shown in grey. You can also look up steps in FileMaker Help and their help entries include a place where you'll be able to see if it is web compatible or not.