1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2012 4:07 PM by RafaelCassis

Limiting access to a new users

RafaelCassis

Title

Limiting access to a new users

Hello

I have Filemaker Pro 12.
      I created a database and now I'm finding it hard to create users and limit access. I want to limit access by the results of a field that I created.

Ex: If the User is a level access to the files one level
      If the User is level 2 have access to the files of level 1 and 2
      If the User is level 3 to access the files level 1, 2 and 3
      If the User's level of access to the four-level files 1, 2, 3 and 4

How can I do this?
      I am a totally new User in filemaker

• 1. Re: Limiting access to a new users
          philmodjunk

What do you mean by "Files"? would these be individual database files? Different records in the database? Different tables and/or layouts in the database?

Are you familiar with creating accounts, passwords and privilege sets in Manage | security?

If so, your "level 1, level 2", etc refer to the privilege sets you assign a new user's account. There's a get function that will return the current user's privilege set.

For a more precise control of user access that can be record by record...

See "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker Help and check out this particular sub section: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" for a detailed description of how to set this up.

• 2. Re: Limiting access to a new users
            RafaelCassis

I created a bunch of data file management!
            In other words, each record has a file attached to it!

Within the record I created a field where I set the record level access. In my database I have four levels of access, and when I add a new record and put a new file will define the level of access to this record.

I believe that if the User can not access the record, also can not access the file also right?

I'm not very familiar with Creating accounts, passwords and privilege sets in Manage | security!
            I just started using the program a few days but already got a lot of progress

Thanks for the help

• 3. Re: Limiting access to a new users
              philmodjunk

I believe that if the User can not access the record, also can not access the file also right?

Assuming that by "attached" you mean you inserted the file into a container field...

Yes and No. This is true if the file was not inserted with the store a reference option. If store a reference was used, the user cannot use Filemaker to access file's where the security settings prohibit access, but they may have access to the file directly from their computer.

• 4. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                GuyStevens

You can use the function: "Get(AccountPrivilegeSetName)"

To get the name of a users privilige set.

Then I would assume you would need to create something like a calculation that checks if the users privilige set is equal to or higher then the record level access.

But because you call it "Level 1" you might want to do some sort of Filter (Get(AccountPrivilegeSetName);"1234")

In the Manage - Security settings you can then create a calculation that checks wether you are allowed to see a record or not.

I found it an interesting question so I made a quick test file:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18099008/Demo_Files/Securitylevels.fp7

Feel free to check it out.

You can log in as:
                Admin - admin
                Level 1 - level 1
                Level 2 - level 2

Admin sees all records
                Level 1 only level 1 records
                Level 2 sees Level 1 and Level 2 records.

• 5. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                  RafaelCassis

Thanks guys!

Let me try to be more specific.
                  I chose a model in the initial solution (Content Management) and add some fields like "restriction". Basically i Heve level 4 to define:
                  QS
                  CI
                  CDC
                  QM

Thus, in each record that I add, I have to select the level of it.

I want whoever has the QS level, only has access to that record's QS mark in the field restriction.

I want whoever has the CI level, only has access to that record's mark and QS CI field restriction.

I want whoever has the CDC level, only has access to that record's QS mark, IC and CDC in the field restriction.

I want whoever has the QM level, have access to all the record's Whatever the Restriction field to score.

It is possible to do this in filemaker pro 12?

If yes, how do I? remembering that I am totally newbie in this app! =)

I put a picture of my screen contents | Details to be easier to understand the field restriction.

thank you for Aiding until now!
                  Abs
                  Rafildo

• 6. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                    GuyStevens

Did you try out my test file?

Because that's exactly what I did in that file.

If you log in as a Level 1 user you can only see the records that are set to be viewable by a level 1 user etc.

If the problem is that you don't know how to achieve this I'll give a more detailed explanation.

• 7. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                      philmodjunk

Please find and read the section in FileMaker Help that I recommended in my first post here before attempting these steps...

Open Manage | Security and give all users one of four privilege sets. For sake of simplicity, I'll assume that the privilege set names match your list of restriction levels:

QS
                      CI
                      CDC
                      QM

For privilege set "QM", do not specify any form of limited access.

For Privilege set "CDC", select "Custom Privileges" from the Records drop down.

Click "contents" to select that table.

From the "view" drop down, select 'limited'.

Enter this expression in the specify calculation dialog:

Patterncount ( "CDCCIQS" ; Restriction )

This expression will allow users with the CDC privilege set to access all records with values in the resctriction field of CDC, CI or QS.

Click OK and then make the needed permission selections in the other parts of this privilege set. I recommend that you select "All" from the available menu commands drop down and not modify this setting until you are sure that the other options selected for this privilege set work for you.

For the remaining privilege sets, repeat the above steps, but edit the text in quotes used with the PatternCount function to only include the Restriction settings permitted for that privilege set.

• 8. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                        RafaelCassis

DaSaint,

I saw your file but do not really know how to apply it in my database! 8(

PhilModJunk I tried to do as you said but when I log in with one of the levels for testing, this message appears first and then this screen:

any idea what might be going wrong?

• 9. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                          philmodjunk

I don't see any message or screen. Since I'm looking at it 3 minutes after you posted, it may be that the uploaded image hasn't made it through the system to display or it may be there was a problem with how you uploaded them.

• 10. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                            RafaelCassis

DaSaint,

PhilModJunk I tried to do as you said but when I log in with one of the levels for testing, this message appears first and then this screen:

any idea what might be going wrong?

• 11. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                              GuyStevens

I had that to in the beginning of trying this out.

Make sure the privilege set is allowed to see the layout. Where it says "Layouts: All view Only"

Because this means you are not allowed to view this layout.

Security settings

• 12. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                                philmodjunk

It looks like it may be working perfectly as far as the access control settings are concerned. If the user is not allows to view a record, the grey <no access> screen is what you are seeing.

If you have a script that is being performed when the file opens, it may be attempting an action not permitted for the current privilege set. You'll need to work with that script to see what action might not be permitted or you can click the "run with full access privileges" option for that script to get it to run without triggering this error message.

To hide "no access" records from the limited access users, perform a find. This can be a find for nearly anything, "no access" records will be automatically omitted from the resulting found set. This find can be scripted to be part of your script that is performed when the file is opened.

Hmmm, I think I also missed a detail on these limted access accounts. In the dialog where you select "limited" from the "View" drop down, select "yes" in all of the other drop downs to the right so that the user has full access to those records that they are permitted to view. This may even eliminate the Error dialog you usee when you first open the file.

• 13. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                                  GuyStevens

DaSaint,

Maybe it's better to use PhilModJunks way of doing it, It's more elegant (And he is a Filemaker Jedi, so his word is best followed)   :)

• 14. Re: Limiting access to a new users
                                    philmodjunk

Please don't dismiss DaSaint's posts. They are complementary to mine...

1 2 Previous Next