4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2014 6:43 PM by JenniDonohoe_1

Limiting user access

JenniDonohoe_1

Title

Limiting user access

Hello,

We currently use FMP12 and are looking to upgrade to FM Server 13.  I'm a bit of a FM luddite so please bear with me.

As we are expanding overseas I want to create accounts for our o/s reps to use to access files for their country only.  Our database includes Contacts, Invoices, Purchase Orders and Inventory.

I've figured out how to limit user access to records by country via the Privileges, but it's quite clunky as it still shows all the records, just with NO ACCESS across the fields of those not for that country.  Not very user friendly - I thought it might do a "Find" and group the records.  Also, it doesn't work well in terms of creating invoices from these records - my database has frozen (of course, i am using a copy to do testing on).

Any ideas or help to be offered?

Will this be easier on FM Server?

Thanks in advance,

Jenni.

• 1. Re: Limiting user access
          JohnKourgiantakis

How about making a table occurrence filtered by country, and directing the user to a layout based on the new filtered table occurrence.

• 2. Re: Limiting user access
            mleering
            It sounds like you are on the right track. There are a couple more steps that I usually do though, in order to make things work properly. First, reduce the found set during the opening script. Second, hijack any finds on layouts based on that table using a script trigger(mode change)  - your script can constrain the found set. Lastly, I usually make custom menus. This will allow you to hijack things like "show all records" and "show omitted only".
            • 3. Re: Limiting user access
              philmodjunk

Any find performed by your limited access users will automatically omt the "no access" records. No special constrain is needed. All you need is some kind of find in your start up script to find records when the user first opens the file or first accesses a layout that finds all records for which they are entitled and you no longer have "No access" records. The only way that the user can pull them up is via Show All Records or Show Omitted Only or possibly a go to related records script step (and since this last is a script, you can modify that script).

With FileMaker Advanced you can remove those menu options or replace them with scripts that show all and all omitted but with the "no access" records omitted.

• 4. Re: Limiting user access
                JenniDonohoe_1

Thanks everybody! Very helpful.