9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 27, 2013 3:21 PM by philmodjunk

limiting user view of a layout while still having full access

MichaelLawrence

Title

limiting user view of a layout while still having full access

I am working on a database where I have a strange problem. I have a user who needs one login that has full access to all tables and layouts. Then another that has full access to everything but viewing a certain layout.. I know that I can go to manage security and create custom privileges, but it seems to limit the access to a certain layout would also mean all options to access data from that layout would be removed as well.  it's normally would not be a problem if the user was operating from a computer,  however it's going to be on an iPad so just limiting the views of certain layouts and allowing another account to have full access to open any view in design mode wouldn't work. I am hopeful that there is a script that could just hide a layout from the layout selection. Currently my layouts are selected from a value list so if there is a way to pick the value list basee on user name that would work too....

• 1. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
          philmodjunk

Why can't you just set up a privilege set with full access to the data but with access blocked to the one layout?

And you can eliminate any layout you want from the layouts drop down by clearing a check box in Layout Setup and also in Manage | Layouts.

• 2. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
            MichaelLawrence

Is that possible phil i thought that if i limited the 'no access'  option for the layout, it greyed out the 'records via this layout' so it would mean that you cant access the data from this table?

• 3. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
              JonJ

I'm not sure I quite understand your scenario—could you give me a fuller example of what you're trying to achieve? It may be that you need to have two priv sets, and you use a script temporarily re-authenticate your user to view certain layouts...

• 4. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
                philmodjunk

If you check the settings in Manage | Security, there is one set of settings for the Tables and One for the Layouts.

• 5. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
                  MichaelLawrence

Here is some more info: The user is going to be using his iPad to input records while on the job site. While there he will often be allowing other clients to view the Ipad for confirmation purposes (viewing the invoice before he prints/emails it). He is going to be putting a lot of proprietary information into the 'products' table, which will contain valuable information for his business.

He wishes to have 2 separate logins, one with full access to everything in order to build his product table to contain alot of confidential information that he will be using from home/when he is alone. The other login would have the ability to manipulate data, input records, and have all the same functionality but without the view of the 'product'. He doesn't want the other people handling the iPad to even know that a 'product' table exists.

The layouts on an iPad are all accessed from a dropdown box using a value list of 'Customers, Products, Invoices'.

• 6. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
                    MichaelLawrence

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like if I select 'no access' to this layout, then it also means no access to the records there. I still want the ability to look at invoice details and not have 'no access' come up for all the product names.

• 7. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
                      philmodjunk

The layouts on an iPad are all accessed from a dropdown box using a value list of 'Customers, Products, Invoices'.

To repeat: you have complete control over what layouts are listed in that drop down. There's a check box in Manage | Layouts and also in Layout Setup... for controlling which layouts are listed in that drop down.

if I select 'no access' to this layout, then it also means no access to the records there.

This is not the case. The key phrase is "via this layout". If you restrict them from the layout then then cannot access the data in that table via this layout. They can still access the data in the table from a different layout unless you specifically block access to the Table.

But if this is just to keep customers who borrow your client's iPad from accessing or knowing about that data while they use it for a few minutes, you may not need to use access privileges. You may be able to control it with the design your layouts/scripts etc.

• 8. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
                        MichaelLawrence

Thanks for the help Phil, I wasn't sure about the 'via this layout' restrictions because I kept getting 'no access' on some of my layouts. I was stupid and still had one of my main layouts accessible but the records listed as 'no access'.

I'm definitely aware that I can go to Manage > Layouts and not allow certain layouts using the checkbox as well as just changing the values in the value list. I just don't see any way of doing that for a specific user/login and keeping it open for everyone else without getting creative with design/scripts like you said.

I think this will definitely work, and the user will probably be nagging 'but I can still see it in the list' even if it doesn't take then anywhere. Oh well I'm content. Thanks everyone

• 9. Re: limiting user view of a layout while still having full access
                          philmodjunk

If you hide the tool bar, you can add your own drop down for layout navigation to the layout and the list of layouts in this drop down can be limited to just the layouts permitted for that user. Then the user will not be able to see the layout name if the file is open under the limited access layout. (And you can use Relogin as a quick way to switch automatically form full access to limited access with a single tap of the user's finger.)