3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2009 10:33 AM by ninja

Line Item Entry

tangent

Title

Line Item Entry

Hi!

I am creating a return authorization form where the product returned is to be entered as line items (Qty, Description, Price), pretty basic. The idea is that after line #1 is entered, a new line forms under it in case there are multiple line items.

An example I saw of this was the expense report template that ships with FileMaker, but it used relational tables and a portal. What I'm doing is very simple, so now I'm stuck. Do I have to have realted tables to do this?

Thanks!

~TPS

• 1. Re: Line Item Entry
          ninja

Howdy tangent,

If there are sometimes more than one line item per return, then a related table called "ReturnLineItems" seems to be in order.  While there are certainly other ways to do it, a related table and a portal fit exactly what you're trying to do.

Check out the expense report template and the construction of the relationship and portal...it's not very complex (seems that way the first time you build one, then you'll realize how easy it is).

For your relationship, autoenter a serial number for your ReturnID field in the Returns table,

Create a ReturnLineItems table with ReturnID, Qty, Description, Price fields

Drag a relationship between Returns::ReturnID and ReturnLineItems::ReturnID

allow creation of records in ReturnLineItems via the relationship, (double click the relationship box)

drop a portal on your layout-based-on-Returns

Put Qty, Description, Price in the portal

Play around with it and see what you've done!

• 2. Re: Line Item Entry
            tangent

Ninja,

I never would have guessed to do that. Even after looking at the expense example I never would have gleaned that out of it. This part was almost a deal-killer in using FM as the tool for my client. Thank you very much!

• 3. Re: Line Item Entry
              ninja

Howdy tangent,

Glad the deal didn't die.

FMP can usually do anything you want...it's just a matter of (1) learning "how?" and (2) finding the most efficient way.  It's a very maleable tool.

Glad things are working for you.