9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 12:33 PM by ninja

line item fill in

bhj

Title

line item fill in

how do you set up an automatic fill in when you enter a sku or description for an example on an invoice

• 1. Re: line item fill in
          ninja

Howdy bhj,

Through a relationship with another table occurence that has that data.

Check this thread out:

http://fm.lithium.com/fm/board/message?board.id=FM-en-4&message.id=8851

You would need a table with SKU and the pertinent details related to the table in which you are entering the SKU.  The link example shows the same thing, but for printing award certificates with related tables.

• 2. Re: line item fill in
            philmodjunk

Check out the Auto-Enter options for a field's definition.

You can use a lookup to copy data from a field in a related record.

You can specify a calculation that enters data.

You may in some cases not need to do this. If you want a description to appear when you enter a SKU, put a list of SKUs and Descriptions in a table and set up a relationship so that a SKU entered in another table matches a record in this table. In your invoice (or it's portal of line items, simply add the description field from this related table and the description will automatically appear when you enter/select a SKU.

• 3. Re: line item fill in
              bhj

heres what i have so far. i have a products table with product id, product desc, unit price. i have a sales order table with a portal using the same info. i tried to make a relationship between the sales order table and products table but it would not let me. i already have a relation with a customer table to each of these tables.

• 4. Re: line item fill in
                philmodjunk

Sounds like there may be some confusion between Table Occurrences and Tables. Not suprising since Filemaker's documentation sometimes uses these terms interchangeably when they shouldn't.

In your relationship graph, you can create any number of relationships between two tables, but to keep them straight, the relationship graph will require you to create new Table Occurrences (TO's) in order to properly document each such relationship. A TO is a convenient place holder or "label" used by filemaker to document a specific relationship to the TO's table. In fact, each "table" you see in the graph is really a TO, not a table. When you create a table, filemaker automatically creates a TO for it in the graph with the same name as your table. To see the name of a TO's underlying table, hover the mouse over the arrow in the TO's upper left corner.

You can create as many TO's as you need to define your relationships.

Method 1: Select an existing TO and click the button with two green plus signs. Filemaker creates a new TO referring to the same underlying table as the TO you selected. It'll give it the same name but add a number to make it unique. It may look like you've created a new table, but you haven't. You've just created a new reference to an existing table. You can double click this TO to change its name or select a different underlying table. Now that you have a new TO, you can drag from it to another TO to establish a new relationship.

Method 2: Click the button that looks like an empty TO with a green plus sign in the corner. Select an underlying table for the new TO and proceed as you would in Method 1.

• 5. Re: line item fill in
                  bhj

i have tried everthing you recommended and i may not be doing some of it right. but i can not get what i want to work.

here is what i have. i sell honey products. i would like to be able to fill in line items on an invoice using the less key strokes the better. i have a products table with

product ID      Product Descr        Unit Price

my product descr field is a drop down list with all my products

i would like to chose a product from this list and then the product ID and the unit price will be filled in automatically

i guess i need some sort of step by step instructions

• 6. Re: line item fill in
                    philmodjunk

What tables and relationships have you created?

A typical invoicing table structure:

Invoices (1 record = 1 sale) put your sale date, invoice number fields here

Line Items (1 record = 1 item on an invoice)  //displayed in a portal on an invoices layout.

Price list (the table you've described.)

Relationships:

Invoices :: InvoiceID = LineItems :: Invoice ID

LineItems :: ProductID = PriceList :: Product ID

WIth this structure, you can define lookups to copy data from PriceList into LineItems whenever the user selects/enters a product ID in LineItems.

• 7. Re: line item fill in
                      comment_1
                      • 8. Re: line item fill in
                        bhj

tables 

Customers

Invoice

Products

Relationships

Customers::Cust # = Invoice::Cust #

i had a relationship between invoice and products but i deleted it not sure what i need in products to do that

• 9. Re: line item fill in
                          ninja

HOwdy bhj,

If you don't have a link between invoice and product...it's kinda hard for Invoice to pull info from Product.

Product would need (at a minimum)

SKU#

The details you want filled in in your line item in Invoice.

The relationship would be Invoice::SKU = Product::SKU

The fields in your line item (on a layout based on Invoice) would be from the Product table.  The SKU# in the line item would be from the Invoice table.  Type in the SKU# and the rest of the line item will fill in via the link to the Product table.