12 Replies Latest reply on May 6, 2013 7:18 AM by Matty_1

Lines in Part will not print

Matty_1

Title

Lines in Part will not print

I have set a line at the bottom of a part in a particular layout and it will not print, I do however see it in browse mode.  Any idea why this could be?  I'm using FM12.

• 1. Re: Lines in Part will not print
          philmodjunk

Is this a line object or a field border?

If it's a line object, check the sliding/visibility section of the inspector's position tab and make sure that "hide when printing" is not selected.

If it's a field border, check the same thing, but also check to see if the "delineate" option is selected in layout setup. If it is, clear it and see if that makes a difference.

• 2. Re: Lines in Part will not print
            Matty_1

It's a field border.  I checked the hide when printing option and it's not selected.  Note that I couldn't even select it if I wanted to, it's grayed out.  I had already tried the delineate options based on another one fo your posts and it didn't fix it.  I tried again and still the same.

• 3. Re: Lines in Part will not print
              philmodjunk

What do you mean by this?

Note that I couldn't even select it if I wanted to, it's grayed out.

Select what? the "hide when printing" option? Was the field selected so that selection handles were visible at the time you checked this?

• 4. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                Matty_1

Yes the hide when printing option.  I'm not trying to modify a line in a field but in a part in the layout ie header, body footer etc.  I've put a line at the bottom of one of the parts and it's not showing when printing but shows up in browse mode.

• 5. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                  philmodjunk

Hide when printing may or may not be the reason, but it should not be greyed out. The fact that it's greyed out suggests that the field may not have been selected at the time that you checked. But a recently identified bug in mac systems may be the cause of the greyed out options in the Inspector. Make sure not to click the area to the right of the layout border before selecting the field to check it's settings in the Inspector.

I've put a line at the bottom of one of the parts and it's not showing when printing

That has me wondering if this is really a field border. Did you use the line tool to draw a line or did you select a field and click a border option  in the Inspector?

If you used the line tool to draw a horizontal line, make sure that it is not on the line between one layout part and another.

• 6. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                    Matty_1

Sorry Phil, clearly I'm not explaining myself very well.  

I'm not refering to any sort of field or object within my layout.  I am strictly refering to a PART in my layout and to be more specific I'm refering to the leading grand summary.  I've selected the part itself (leading grnad summary) and I've gone to the Graphic section in my inspector, from there I selected the bottom line in the line section within the graphic section of the inspector.  The line is 1pt and is at the bottom of the leading grand summary part.  This line appears in the browing mode but not when printed.

• 7. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                      philmodjunk

Hmmm, I can't reproduce this on one of my files:

I did the following:

Entered layout mode

Used part set up to add a leading grand summary.

Selected the part by clicking its label

Selected the bottom border setting an dspecified a line weight of 1 and black as the color.

Entered browse mode and saw new line at top of my screen.

Entered preview mode and saw the same.

I then repeated these steps for a trailing grand summary and this also worked. I tried this with the Delineate and without the Delineate option selected in layout setup.

Did I do anything differently?

• 8. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                        Matty_1

Nope, same thing I've done ... I removed and added the line again and ended up with the same results.  Browse I see, preview I don't.

• 9. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                          philmodjunk

What OS are you using and have you downloaded the latest update? (FileMaker 12.04)

• 10. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                            Matty_1

I'm currently using OSX 10.7.5 and yes I've installed the most recent update ... and now that you bring that up, I may have attempted this AFTER the did the upgrade but I can't guarantee it as I sometimes forgot what I did yesterday.

• 11. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                              philmodjunk

I'm testing in Windows, so this may be an OS specific issue. I suggest making a Bug Report in Report an Issue to see what the FIleMaker TS techs have to say about it. but first, test your issue with a brand new simple test file. If you get the same issue in your test file, post the issue report. You can post a link to this thred to save typing.

• 12. Re: Lines in Part will not print
                                Matty_1

Hmmm good point.  I did the test and on a simple data base it's there in preview mode so there's some sort of issue in the database I'm working on.  Any ideas on this??