4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 10:05 AM by philmodjunk

Link from a portal back to another layout

KirstyRunnicles

Title

Link from a portal back to another layout

I do not know if anyone can help me but I am relatively new to FileMaker and struggling to find the correct terminology to search for what I need to do. 

I have created three layouts:

Contacts

Assets

Production

Within my contacts layout, I have created a portal that shows me all the assets held by the contact. This is all fine. However, what I would like to do is for users to be able to click on the assets individually within the portal and be able to link directly through to production. The way I want to do this is by using the asset number. Currently I just have the asset field. I have tried playing with the buttons, reading through scripts but I am stuck. Please can anyone possibly help.

Many thanks

• 1. Re: Link from a portal back to another layout
          philmodjunk

What is the "connection" between the "Asset number" in Assets and your records in Production?

Is there an asset number field in the production table?

Is there a relationship linking production to either of these two tables? (A screen shot of Manage | Database | Relationships might be helpful.)

• 2. Re: Link from a portal back to another layout
            KirstyRunnicles

Hi there

Thank you for your message. The 'connection' between the asset number and the records in production is that the asset number appears in both places. In assets it appears next to the description of the asset and in production, it appears as tracking to the finished article. Assets is basically a summary and production hold more detail.

Screenshots attached.

• 3. Re: Link from a portal back to another layout
              KirstyRunnicles

This is the set up within the portal I want to have the Title ID/Asset No (Title ID/Asset No are one and the same and I need to update my wording) auto generating from contracts into contacts. This is already set up but ideally I also want to be able to press a button or link that will take me to the same Title ID in publishing.

Clear as mud :/ 

• 4. Re: Link from a portal back to another layout
                philmodjunk

There  is no portal that I can see in your second screen shot.

If your layout refers to FileMaker Contacts... in Layout Setup | Show Records From and the portal on that layout refers to FileMaker Contracts,

then you can put a button in the portal row that does this:

Go To Related Record [Show only related records; From table: FileMaker Publishing; Using layout: "FileMaker Publishing" (FileMaker Publishing) ]

And this will take you to the layout for FileMaker Publishing and the current record will be the same record that you clicked in the portal.