8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 11, 2014 8:55 AM by ColeenAustin

link invoices list to a tab in contact details

ColeenAustin

Title

link invoices list to a tab in contact details

I have a layout called contact details and I have several tabs in this layout.  I have created a new tab call "Invoices"  I would like to be able to choose a contact and then choose the tab "Invoices" and see all invoices related to that contact.  We have several invoice layouts that I need to link together to create the list on the Invoices tab. 

I do not know how to do this or what its called to even look up how to do this.  I also don't know if this is possible in FileMaker Pro 11.  Thank you.

• 1. Re: link invoices list to a tab in contact details
          philmodjunk

If Invoices is a table and Contacts (or Contact Details) is a table, you can link the two tables in a relationship and then you can put a portal on that tab that lists all invoices linked to that contact.

• 2. Re: link invoices list to a tab in contact details
            ColeenAustin

Thank you PhilModJunk!  The invoices are actually are in several separate layouts.  How do I put several layouts into a table?

• 3. Re: link invoices list to a tab in contact details
              philmodjunk

You don't put layouts in a table.

Every layout you create, is by definition based on a FIleMaker Database table. Thus, the data you see on a layout already comes from at least one table in your database.

Open Manage | Database | Tables

How many tables do you have now?

Open Manage | database | Relationships

What relationships do you have linking your tables to each other?

FileMaker Pro is a Relational Database System. Almost any solution that you create with this system will consist of multiple tables linked in relationships.

• 4. Re: link invoices list to a tab in contact details
                ColeenAustin

Ok yes the invoice information is in the table.  Sorry just figuring this all out.  So what fields of the table to I connect with the Invoice Tabs so that when I click on one particular invoice in the Invoice tab it takes me directly to that invoice for that contact?

• 5. Re: link invoices list to a tab in contact details
                  philmodjunk

But do you have TWO tables? one for contacts and one for Invoices?

IF so, do you have a field in Contacts that serves as a primary key for that table? This is usually an auto-entered serial number field but it might also auto-enter Get ( UUID ). Such a field is often named with the name of the table and "ID" such as ContactsID or __pkContactsID. A Primary key is a field that uniquely identifies each record in the table where it is defined and is the most frequently used field to link it to other tables in one to many relationships.

If you are attempting to modify a starter solution that came with your copy of FileMaker, please tell me that and also what version of FileMaker you are using so that I can refer to that starter solution in order to give you more detailed answers.

• 6. Re: link invoices list to a tab in contact details
                    ColeenAustin

OK now I'm lost.  This is FileMaker 11 and I'm just coming into this already made by someone who is no longer at the company.  When I go to open I see several different "Files".  The contact information that I want to add the "invoices" tab is in one file and the Invoices are several separate invoice files.

I do not know how to connect these tables and I definately don't know about the primary key

• 7. Re: link invoices list to a tab in contact details
                      philmodjunk

Then it appears that you need to learn more about how FileMaker works before you can puzzle out the current design. There are a number of training resources available that you can investigate and invest some time and dollars in.

FileMaker Tables can be defined all in one table--this is a simpler approach and one best suited for those just learning how to use FileMaker, but they can also be defined in separate files and yet you can still add a table occurrence to invoices in your contacts file in order to link them in a relationship. So what you want to do should be possible, but the devil will be in the details...

• 8. Re: link invoices list to a tab in contact details
                        ColeenAustin

OK thank you!  Can you recommend any youtube videos that will walk me through this?