What does the open URL step in question look like? What is used for the URL parameter in it?
That error typically indicates that there is a missing parameter so Open URL with an expression that now evaluates to an empty string would be consistent with the error code you report.
For testing purposes, I stripped out the "Perform Script" and reassigned the button straight to "Open URL" . Then I specified "www.google.com" - also for testing. Works for me, not for these 2 users.
As far as the script in question, it works for other users so I don't believe any parameters are missing. I'm thinking it has more to do with the set up of their machines or how they use the internet?
it works for other users so I don't believe any parameters are missing.
It might have if you are using a calculation that evaluates to an empty string in some instances. Your test with literal text for the URL seems to rule that out.
When you say: "Works for me, not for these 2 users." does that mean that you are testing the exact same copy of the file on your computer and theirs?
If so, then it would appear that the update broke something. Was this a windows update? On what OS version?
Just to rule out all possible issues, run a recover on the copy that isn't working for your clients as a damaged file might return this error. (And I've seen a damaged file work fine on one computer and not another...)
I'm not sure how to recover the file. It's hosted and in use all day. So what I did was I sent them a separate file, the only thing on it was a button and a field with the URL. The button is set as "Open URL" and specifies the field. It does not work for these users. It works for me. I am on Mac, they are on PC. Other PC users are not experiencing the issue. It may be their version of Windows, I have not looked into this yet. Is that the next thing I should do?
When a file is hosted 24/7 over a network, it should also be saving regular back up copies and you can do a recover on one of the back up copies of the file to check it for file damage, but in this case, your test is the better test anyway for ruling out possible issues with the file.
What version of windows are they using? Is this the same exact release of windows as in use on the PC's where this works?
Can Internet Explorer be used to access web pages on the computers where you get this error?
What exact version of FM 11 are you using? (last release of FM 11 will show as 11.0v3 for windows systems.)
They can access web pages in their IE, including the link that's not working in my file.
They are both using Windows 7 Enterprise (Service Pack 1, whatever that means). So is the user not having problems.
Also both using FileMaker Pro 11.0v3, so is my user not having problems.
Hmmm, IE was a bit of a red herring, I think. Can a web viewer be used successfully on the problem machines?
I don't think I understand the question - both can successfully open the URLs in their IE, just not from FileMaker. In FileMaker it goes nowhere and returns error 5.
A webviewer is a layout object you place on a FileMaker layout to access a web page. It uses a slightly different code base than IE.
I may be wrong, but Open URL may also use that "web kit" as it's called. So my hypothesis is that if there is an issue with the Web Kit, it may keep both the web viewer and Open URL from correctly functioning.
If I put a Web Viewer object on the file's layout, it works.
Hmmm, clearly there is something different on the machines where it doesn't. I'm recalling some info usually used to identify an application that might be causing FileMaker to Crash, I wonder if it might be used to identify an application on the problem machine that is interfering with FileMaker's Open URL step:
To rule out some other issues with your specific computer on Windows systems,
Select Run from the start menu and type in:
Then, under the Services tab, you can stop all non-Microsoft services. If this solves the issue, then you need to look at what services you stopped and see which is one is the culprit.
I don't know how to stop all non-Microsoft services. When we go to that tab we can Enable, Disable, and see if they're running or stopped but I don't know how to stop ones that are running. PCs not my strength...