AnsweredAssumed Answered

Link two fields in the same table to view spouse information

Question asked by cat22fish on Aug 12, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 13, 2014 by cat22fish

Title

Link two fields in the same table to view spouse information

I hope someone can help me, I'm very new to FM and I have got quite far with it but there are some things I want to do which I have no idea where to start. I have a database which stores contact information.  Some of the contacts on the database have relationships with other contacts on the database e.g. a husband and wife have their own entry.  What I would like to do is to link the contacts who are related and have their name displayed in each other's record on the layout but I cannot work out how to do this.  This is what I've tried to do:

I've added a relatedId field as a number field (which I'm guessing should contain the serialnumber of the spouse)

Copied the main contacts table occurrence and created a link between the two.

Placed a portal on the layout database and displayed RelatedId field (in browse mode), created a copy of this field (including settings but changed it to in find mode, so I can see the full name)

I think I have completely confused it because it is displaying the RelatedId field but then when I want it to display the name of the other record it reverts to the original records name.  So i'm guessing I'm asking it to pull in the wrong information.  ahhh I know I'm going about this all wrong, any really easy step guide advice greatly received.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Outcomes