1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 24, 2015 4:09 PM by philmodjunk

Linking Data

JustineChan

Title

Linking Data

I am creating an antibody database with several tables. Table 1 includes details pertaining to all samples in the storage unit (i.e. antigen, source, mouse strain, location, etc.) Let us suppose Table 2 is specific for SEB strain 243 samples.

Is there a function that will link the two tables so that when I click on any record named "SEB" in Table 1, I will be redirected to the corresponding record of Table 2? Can a relationship be created whereby new entries input to Table 2, 3, 4, or 5 (all different antigens) will automatically appear in Table 1?

Within the Manage Database "Relationships" tab, I joined fields from Table 1 to matching fields in Table 2. Despite selecting the "Allow creation of records in this table via this relationship" in the Edit Relationship window, new records do not appear in Table 1. Yet related records can be deleted! To resolve this issue, I added a portal to the Table 2 layout view which does add records to Table 1. However, this portal prevents the creation of a matching record in linked tables until all fields are filled. Now I have a Table 1 will multiple entries of 0 for every blank field. 

If you have any experience creating databases, I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice. Thank you!

Database_Manager.png

• 1. Re: Linking Data
          philmodjunk

It sounds like you are using separate tables for groups of data that should all be in the same table.

If you had one table with all your table 2, 3, 4 and 5 data. Then a relationship between table 1 and this table of combined records can be used such that if you are on a record in Table 1 for SEB, a Go to Related Records script step could take you to all records for SEB in the second table. A portal could also be used to list the same sub set of records in the second table.