6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2013 9:15 AM by VanessaAnne

Linking Databases - Container to Container

VanessaAnne

Title

Linking Databases - Container to Container

Hello, 

I am on FM 11.  I have a main database that holds over a 1,000 records.  Each record has a container field.  Every record is unique because of one field - the main shot field.  So whenever I do a search for the main shot field record, the corresponding container field also comes up which is a visual of the shot.  

I do not want to store all 1,000 container values in this database because it will slow it down.  The main database is a host so it needs to be very small in size.  

I have been trying to link the container field database which is built solely to hold the container values to the main one but have had no luck.  

Both have "sharing on".  Both are in the same folder - right now I have copies of each to test out on my local computer but each database is on our host server and the databases are in the same folder and see each other.  

I have linked the databases up by going to "Manage External Data Sources" in each database and pointing them to each other.  And I have created a table in each database for the other one linking them together - see attached for their feild relationship. 

However the container field is not showing up at all. 

Thank you for your assitance. 

Screen_Shot_2013-01-31_at_3.22.10_PM.png

• 1. Re: Linking Databases - Container to Container
          philmodjunk

First check to make sure that "shot vfx number" has the same data type defined in both fields of the two tables.

Second, make sure that the fields actually contain data that exactly match each other for a given pair of records that should be linked to each other.

• 2. Re: Linking Databases - Container to Container
            VanessaAnne

Yes, both of those match up competely.  I have a "TEST" record for this purpose.  

It must be something in the way I'm linking them that I just don't know about.  The container fields don't know to look to each other across databases.  Is there something in conditional formatting like a formula that would let the fields know to look to each other? 

Also, just to make sure you know what I'm trying to do.  I want the main database container field to automatically be populated with the container value in the alternate database.  So once the alternate database container field is populated with an image, I want the image to show up in the container field of the main database. 

• 3. Re: Linking Databases - Container to Container
              philmodjunk

Ok, I think I see the problem. A field in one table will not magically display the data from a related table simply because they are linked in a relationship.

You do not need container fields in both tables. Instead, remove one of these fields from one of these tables. Then, on the layouts where you used to have the container field that you just removed, add the container field from the related table where you retained this container field.

Note, if one table shows all the images and the other table has empty container fields, delete the container field from the table where they are empty.

• 4. Re: Linking Databases - Container to Container
                VanessaAnne

It totally makes sense in theory (sorry I"m just not getting some part of it for some reason).  So now my problem is that since the container field in the alternate database is not a local table it isn't an option to add as a field.  The table shows up in my relationships section but because I"ve added it as an external source.  

So how would I go about bringing in the external field as a local field?

• 5. Re: Linking Databases - Container to Container
                  philmodjunk

If you have added a table occurrence reference to this external table as you must have done in order to show the relationship dialog that you posted, then you should be able to add this field to the layout just as though it were from a table defined in your current file. I suggest checking to see what you have set up in Manage | database | relationships and how it relates to the table occurrence you have specified in Layout Setup... for your layout where you are trying to add this field.

• 6. Re: Linking Databases - Container to Container
                    VanessaAnne

Thank you so much.  I got it to work.