In Layout Mode, in the Format menu, there is a Sliding/Printing dialogue - this allows you have field(s) slide left, or up, to take up free (unused) space.
Just keep in mind that FileMaker fields can shrink by sliding up, but they can't expand. This means you have to make this field much larger than you would need for data entry.
Key facts about sliding layout objects:
- It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
- All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
- Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
- Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
- Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.