2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2011 9:37 AM by philmodjunk

Linking Fields to Preserve Format

MadMacs

Title

Linking Fields to Preserve Format

Hi,

I have a layout for creating basic letters and other communications. The main text area needs to expand to accommodate text which could be just a few lines or perhaps even a few pages. The name of the person signing the letter (drop down list of employees) and job title (edit field automatically fills depending upon employee selected) are just below the main body text with a gap to allow for the employees signature.

What I need to do is have these two fields move up and down as the main body text expands or contracts. I have tried locking and grouping but when the text box expands, it just covers the two other fields. Is there a simple way to just link the text and other two fields so they move together to preserve the format?

• 1. Re: Linking Fields to Preserve Format
          fmchris

In Layout Mode, in the Format menu, there is a Sliding/Printing dialogue - this allows you have field(s) slide left, or up, to take up free (unused) space.

• 2. Re: Linking Fields to Preserve Format
            philmodjunk

Just keep in mind that FileMaker fields can shrink by sliding up, but they can't expand. This means you have to make this field much larger than you would need for data entry.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1. It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
            2. All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
            3. Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
            4. Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
            5. Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.