1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 9, 2011 11:41 AM by AmberSaundry1010

Linking Filemaker to Label View - driver support?

AmberSaundry1010

Title

Linking Filemaker to Label View - driver support?

Hello,

I am interested in purchasing and using Labelview 9 Gold Software to produce and print barcodes (http://www.teklynx.com/products/labels/labelview_detail.html).  However, I had a question about connecting it to my existing Filemaker database.

We currently use Filemaker Pro 9 at my office, possibly upgrading to Filemaker Pro 11.  However, I cannot figure out if there is a way to connect Labelview directly to Filemaker. 

The database type options I am given in Labelview are Access, SQL Server, ODBC, Excel, Orable, and OLE-DB.  Filemaker appears to be compatible with ODBC (http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/odbc.18.1.html)?  However, when I select ODBC in the 'New Variable' wizard, I am brought to a window where I select 'User Data Sources', which are dBASE Files (.dbf, .ndx, .mdx), Excel Files (.xls, .xlsx, .xlsm, .xlsb), MS Access Database Files (.mdb, .accdb).  I cannot figure out how to get to Filemaker.

I contacted Labelview support, and this was their response:
      “The LV9 software does not have an .fp7 odbc or ole driver that installs.  If you contact the manufacturer of the Filemaker software, they should be able to provide you with a driver for that file type.  If possible, try to get an ole driver, not odbc, due to the fact that odbc is no longer supported by Microsoft in windows operating systems.  The follow what ever direction they can provide to properly install that driver.  Once that driver is installed, you should be able to select it when making a connection to you database.  Once you can select this driver, you should be able to select your database.

Unfortunately, all of this is using software and software drivers that we cannot support.  Once you have the driver installed correctly, we can try to help you set up a connection with that driver, but if we encounter issues, because we are not familiar with that driver, we will be limited in the assistance that we can provide.”

Can anyone please confirm or clarify if I am able to be provided with this driver, and if it is compatible?

An alternative we can do would be an export of the requested data in Excel and then connecting that to Labelview, but we'd really rather connect directly to our Filemaker dataset so it is linked 'live', as opposed to needing to do static exports to Excel.

Any assistance you could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you,
      Amber