3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2015 9:19 AM by philmodjunk

Linking Invoice (Cash Register) to Product selection with Pull Down Menu access

BrentGaspard

Title

Linking Invoice (Cash Register) to Product selection with Pull Down Menu access

Hello FMP14 Forums ... (LONG QUESTION from old FMP6 user)

I am working my way through the "FMP-14 Essentials" training at Lynda - but, I need practical assistance specifically in understanding the "connection" for a "Field" on one "Table" to access data in another "Table" (or in a separate data file).

In simplest terms - how could the "Item" field in the FMP14 "Invoice" Starter Solution access the archive of available products from the "Product" Table as a dynamic PULL DOWN or POPUP menu to populate the Invoice with the latest Product Information?

I am trying to re-build a POS for my wife's salon which I designed way back in FMP6 - I need a "POS Register" function (Invoice) that will access an Inventory of Retail Products for sale and create a Transaction assigned to the Hairdresser by Value List pull down menu. At the end of each day, details for all transactions are compiled and summarized to balance checks, credit card and cash transactions for the day and create a deposit total. This Deposit form also summarizes the transactions for each Hairdresser by day if they wish to monitor their activity.

At the end of the week, we produce a Weekly report that guides our Payroll for reimbursing each Hairdresser accordingly and for capturing product, taxes and other key data.

I built a functioning system way back in FMP6 and have updated through FMP11 and now FMP14, but have not visited the FMP backend connections for years so the platform has become foreign to me once again.

This UPDATE has produced a functioning FMP14 system, however my Weekly reporting function which is driven by SCRIPT to go to each day's file to import records to produce the weekly report is no longer working.

I need to either

1. Understand the connection between Invoice "ITEM" and Product data to redesign a new POS system
      3. Fix my broken SCRIPT function whereby i can once again produce our Weekly Report

Thank you,

Brent Gaspard

SOLITAIRE_SYSTEM_ILLUSTRATION.png

• 1. Re: Linking Invoice (Cash Register) to Product selection with Pull Down Menu access
          philmodjunk

I don't quite follow what your screen shot is intended to represent.

The basic data model in the starter solution and in most invoicing systems built in relational databases is this:

Invoices----<LineItems (InvoiceData)>------Products/Services

The simplest approach--not what you'' find in the starter solution.

You set up a portal to LineItems (called Invoice data in the starter solution) on your Invoices layout and format the Match field to Products in your LineITems table with a value list of products and/or services you might list on an invoice.

The starter solution uses a much more complex system with a selection portal placed inside a slide control that is then placed inside a popover. This results in a more user friendly work flow as it's easier to find and select products or services for a given layout, but depends on a script to add records ot InvoiceData and enter a product ID value into the new record's match field in order to link that record to a record in the products table. Unfortunately, FileMaker Inc is really idiotic in that they release these starter solutions with nearly zero internal documentation and leave it to developers to puzzle out how the system is designed to work--which can be an irritating process.

• 2. Re: Linking Invoice (Cash Register) to Product selection with Pull Down Menu access
            BrentGaspard

PhilModjunk

Thank you for your response. While I chew on it to try and understand how to apply it to my fix ... let me make this simple observation of the Starter Solution "Invoices" ...

I see an "Invoice" tab, a "Customers" tab, and an "Inventory" tab. When I populate the "Inventory" table with three dummy products, why don't they appear in the "ITEM" field on the  Invoice Layout - either by Dynamic populate or by Pull Down access?

• 3. Re: Linking Invoice (Cash Register) to Product selection with Pull Down Menu access
              philmodjunk

How did you "populate" them? by typing in data or by importing from a file?

I do not see an Inventory tab. I do see a button in the Header named "Products". Is that what you mean by an "inventory tab"?

When I manually enter three records on the Product Details layout (Pressing the keyboard shortcut for new record on the Products layout automatically takes you to the Product Details layout.), I can then change over to the Invoice Details layout and find all three listed inside the selection portal that appears when I click "Add Line Item".