4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2011 11:54 AM by ccarr

Linking objects/files/documents to FM

ccarr

Title

Linking objects/files/documents to FM

I have been reading some posts, but am not sure of the correct solution to my problem.

We use FileMaker for a number of databases.  One of those is for applications to our program.  (We are a graduate school.) The application is downloaded from a company via the internet.  It comes in a PDF form.  We store the PDF documents on our network drive for the program.  We insert a link to the PDF document into a container field by using "insert-object."  Two of us using PCs and having full-access security can insert the documents and view them without any problem.  We also have Adobe Acrobat X Pro. Those that do not have full-access nor Adobe X Pro, but PCs cannot do so.  Those with Mac laptops also can not view the document.  From what I have read on the forum, this may be do to a conflict between FM & Adobe.  Any suggestions as to how this can be handled efficiently between Adobe & FM? 

• 1. Re: Linking objects/files/documents to FM
          philmodjunk

Inserting files as objects is a Windows only feature that implements Window's OLE (Object linking and embedding) and is on FileMaker Inc's "to be deprecated" list so it's not a good feature to rely on as future releases may not support this feature.

You'd be better off either inserting the PDF's as files or using a web viewer to open and view the files.

(A web viewer with the correct URL, can display the first page of the PDF and this can be set up to work cross platform.)

• 2. Re: Linking objects/files/documents to FM
            ccarr

I tried adding the PDF document as a file, but when I click on it, it does not open.  The whole purpose is to have the document readily avaialable to review.  I am missing a step?

• 3. Re: Linking objects/files/documents to FM
              philmodjunk

When you insert a PDF, you have two options. If you use the Store By Reference option, double clicking the file opens it. If you do not use store by reference, export field contents from the edit menu can be used to open the file. One way to automate that method is to set up the container field as a button that performs a script using export field contents to export the field to the user's temporary items folder and then opens it.

Note: if you use store by reference, you'll need to store the PDF's in a shared directory that is accessible to all users with exactly the same file path and all users will need to map/mount this folder before they can access the PDF's.

• 4. Re: Linking objects/files/documents to FM
                ccarr

Great.  Thanks.  It is working on the PC side.  Now we will try on the Mac laptops.