AnsweredAssumed Answered

Linking one record in a database to a separate sub database or set of records

Question asked by mtfowler on Mar 17, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 17, 2015 by mtfowler

Title

Linking one record in a database to a separate sub database or set of records

I am using version 11 Pro Advanced.

As a personal injury lawyer, I have been using Filemaker Pro since version 6 for client notes and negotiation. I have a record for each client with multiple layouts linked a the client's file number. The problem I need to solve is how to set up another layout for a medical timeline for each client that allows sorting within the layout by date of treatment, doctor, diagnosis, treatment, etc. I want to be able to go through a stack of medical records that are out of sequence and have possibly overlapping treatment dates and enter each visit and then sort and print by date, doctor, diagnosis, treatment, medical charge, with a total charge summary line. 

Ideally, while reviewing a client's file I could switch to the Medical Timeline Layout, and then add a "record" for each date of treatment with separate fields for DOT, Dr, Hospital or clinic, Diagnosis, charge, etc.

I can't figure out how to link one record in the database (the client) to a different layout that contains multiple records specific to that layout. It seems like there would be a better way to do this than to make each timeline a separate database. 

Outcomes