1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 29, 2012 9:13 AM by philmodjunk

Linking similar fields in different tables

AndrewFrohling

Title

Linking similar fields in different tables

This is probably a simple answer for most of you, but I have struggled with this for the past week and a half.

I have three tables. 1. wedding info, 2. ceremony, 3. reception.

In wedding info I have them fill out ceremony and reception address. I have it set on table 2 and 3 to create a pop up menu with what ever the ceremony or reception sites name is. When i pick that name from the list I want it to auto populate any fields such as the ceremonys address and bride name ect.... The address field then populates a nice google map with directions. I have the map created but I would not like to have to type in the address field but rather when selecting the ceremony it auto populate. If this makes since to anyone I would really appreciate the help... 

I will need to do the same thing when I make an invoice for the customer as well. I gave the bride a specified serial but if i am searching by ceremony I should probably give that a serial number. I am not sure I understand how relationships work I made one between the ceremony fields on all tables but nothing really happens.

Any help in this manner would be appreciated.

Andy... I can link images later in the day.

• 1. Re: Linking similar fields in different tables
          philmodjunk

One record in wedding info describes a single wedding.

One record in Ceremony describes the ceremony details for a single wedding?

One record in reception describes the reception details for a single wedding?

If so, you should have these relationships:

Reception-----WeddingInfo----Ceremony

WeddingInfo::__pkWeddingID = Reception::_fkWeddingID
          WeddingInfo::__pkWeddingID = Ceremony::_FkWeddingID

__pkweddingID should be defined as an auto-entered serial number.

If I have all that correctly interpreted, I'd add a fourth table: Locations. One record in this table would record the address and other details (NOT specific to anyone wedding) for a single location that could be used for the ceremony and/or the reception.

Link it like this:

Reception::_fkLocationID = ReceptionLocations::__pkLocationID

Ceremony::_fkLocationID = CeremonyLocations::__pkLocationID

ReceptionLocations and CeremonyLocations would be two different table occurrences that both have Locations as their data source table so that you do not have to enter address and other info twice for a location that can be used for both the ceremony and the reception.

If "table occurrence" and "data source table" are new concepts, you may want to take a look at this tutorial: Tutorial: What are Table Occurrences?