AnsweredAssumed Answered

Linking SOME field spaces to a database, but not ALL

Question asked by LisaStenach on Aug 5, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 5, 2013 by philmodjunk

Title

Linking SOME field spaces to a database, but not ALL

Hi, I am new to FileMaker, teaching it to myself the last few days after our company wanted to start using it to track our residents and their case notes, etc. The databases, layouts, etc. were being used at a sister site, and so some of the already entered databases and layouts are useful, but some of it is not. I've taught myself a lot just playing around here the last couple of days, trying to edit it all to our specific needs...however, I am completely stuck on something...and I hope this makes sense to everyone...

Each resident has their own social worker, probation officer, guardian ad litem, and/or mental health worker. Some have all 4 of the above, some have 2 or 3, and some don't have any assigned to them yet. I need to show on each resident's individual main layout page their appropriate corresponding worker's and their info.

I have all the residents in a database named Clients, and all the workers entered in a database named Agents. For each agent record, I have their name, email, phone, address, etc. entered for them. On the main layout of the resident page, I have 4 groups of dropdown menu field spaces (one bunch for the PO, one bunch for the SW, and so on) to match the data I entered for each worker (so the Address field is setup to display data from Agents Address, etc).

What I'm trying to accomplish is that if I choose John Doe from the dropdown list as Resident 1's PO in the first name field, that his address, phone, etc. will automatically fill in for the PO info boxes, and then if I choose Jill Smith as his SW in the next group of field spaces, her info automatically enters in the SW group of field boxes, leaving the PO/lawyer/etc's boxes/info alone. I have accomplished the part where John Doe's info falls into place when I choose him, as it does for all the other workers..my trouble lies in that he and his info show up in ALL 4 of the groups, showing that he is that resident's PO, SW, lawyer, GAL, AND MH worker. I can't get him to JUST be a PO in one group, and to have the other groups separate to be able to show their respective info.

What am I not linking correctly? Help, this is driving me nuts with frustration!

screenshot.png

Outcomes