2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2009 7:28 AM by imgaryshap

linking tables

imgaryshap

Title

linking tables

Hello,

Here's what I have:

- Two separate tables

- One is essentially contact management based to keep track of Pitches (i'm in the TV business), which we'll call EXTERNAL PITCH LOG.  Title, Date pitched, and date passed, along with contact information (name, contact info, etc).

- The other table (which we'll call DEVELOPMENT TRACKING) is a much bigger compilaton tracking all our development.  I only need some of the EXTERNAL PITCH LOG date within the DEVELOPMENT TRACKING table.   new records in this table contain a field with a pop-up menu giving the choice of either "Internal" or "External"

Here's what I need help with (because I would love to make this happen):

When I open a new record  in the EXTERNAL PITCH LOG table I would like it to automatically create a new record in the DEVELOPMENT TRACKING table, than automatically choose "External" as the source in "source" field in the DEVELOPMENT TRACKING file, then  automatically fill in the "Title" and "Date Pitched" fields.

- When in the DEVELOPMENT TRACKING file, I then want the "Title" field to be a hyperlink or button that when I click on it, will send me back to the detailed info record in the EXTERNAL PITCH LOG table.

- When I insert data into the "Date Passed" field in the DEVELOPMENT TRACKING LOG, I want that info to be imported in the corresponding record in the EXTERNAL PITCH LOG.

- Finally, I initially created these two tables as separate databases.  I want the DEVELOPMENT TRACKING table to reflect the  number of records in the EXTERNAL PITCH LOG now that I have imported that database as its own table.  

Can it be done?  and if so - any idea how to do it?

Thanks so much!

• 1. Re: linking tables
          comment_1
             I didn't get this part:

imgaryshap wrote:

When I open a new record  in the EXTERNAL PITCH LOG table I would like it to automatically create a new record in the DEVELOPMENT TRACKING table

What would be the content of the new record in the DEVELOPMENT TRACKING table?

IIUC, you should have two tables, Projects and Pitches, related as:

Projects:: ProjectID = Pitches:: ProjectID

With a portal to Pitches placed on a layout of Projects, you can see all the pitches made for the currently viewed project - and, if you like, you can enter new pitches directly into the portal (if you enable automatic creation of new records in the relationship definition).

• 2. Re: linking tables
            imgaryshap
               i want a new record to include the fields title, date created, source (external), and date passed.

the external pitch log is a sub-table of the bigger development tracking.

so in development tracking there are only two possible sources - internal amd external.

when a pitch is external, i need to have a whole slew of new information (who pitched it and their contact info)

your question made me realize that i am being overly complicated by keeping these as two tables.

thanks so much!