3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 10:31 AM by philmodjunk

Linking tables (relationships) correctly to import data

lbellino

Title

Linking tables (relationships) correctly to import data

I originally had just one table with over 250 fields, but didn't think that was the best way to go. So I broke them out to different tables with the appropriate fields from my original table. I got the first 12 items to import correctly, since that's what's going to show on my original table that I'm now down to 12 and not 250, but from this same spreadsheet that I'm importing, I would like the rest of the information in this database, but this information needs to go into mulitple tables. I also can't click on the table I want this information to go into. It only goes to the current table and didn't know if I could change that or how to.

For example: Original table has store number, name, address, city, state, etc. Multiple table I create has square footage numbers but by different catagory. One table has the square footage numbers for: Main Stock, Perimeter stock, basement stock, etc. Another table has the square footage numbers for: Employee Lounge, Open Office, Managers Office, etc. I have a few more table like this.

In the spreadsheet I'm importing, it has all the square footage numbers for all the areas within the many tables. But it only looks at the current table which has the 12 fields that I shortened it to, even though I tried linking them together, but it won't bring that information in. My original goal was to import text files and can't figure out a way to do that, so if someone could show me how to do that as well, that would be great.  I would really appreciate any assistance with this since I'm new to Filemaker. I've attached images of the database relationship that I have so far and the spreadsheet & text file I'm trying to import in.

Thanks.

Relationship.JPG

• 1. Re: Linking tables (relationships) correctly to import data
          philmodjunk

You'll need to do a separate import for each table that you've split your original table into and make sure you import the linking key value as well or run an update operation just after to the import to add it if you can't import it.

To select a different table when importing records manually, first select a layout that refers to the desired setup in layout setup... Filemaker creates such a layout for you each time you define a new table, so you should have these layouts already created unless you deleted them. If you deleted them, just create a new layout that refers to the table.

• 2. Re: Linking tables (relationships) correctly to import data
            lbellino

I tried doing the one table with the text file I'm importing and it brings each line in as a record (which I knew it would), but I don't want each line to come in as record. I want all this information to come in as part of one record. How would I do that?

Also, my list of fields from the text file goes vertically in my layout and would like to import the file in the one layout/record, is there a function/calcuation for each field to recognize the correct area?

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Linking tables (relationships) correctly to import data
              philmodjunk

Filemaker will expect each row to represent one record during import and that fields will be organized into separate columns. If your data is not arranged in that format, you'll need to either Edit the file into this format, Import the data into a different table and use a script to move the data into the correct fields and records of your tables or there may be a way to do an xml import with an XLST grammer that extracts the data for you.