AnsweredAssumed Answered

Linking tables (relationships) correctly to import data

Question asked by lbellino on Jul 12, 2010
Latest reply on Jul 13, 2010 by philmodjunk

Title

Linking tables (relationships) correctly to import data

I originally had just one table with over 250 fields, but didn't think that was the best way to go. So I broke them out to different tables with the appropriate fields from my original table. I got the first 12 items to import correctly, since that's what's going to show on my original table that I'm now down to 12 and not 250, but from this same spreadsheet that I'm importing, I would like the rest of the information in this database, but this information needs to go into mulitple tables. I also can't click on the table I want this information to go into. It only goes to the current table and didn't know if I could change that or how to.

For example: Original table has store number, name, address, city, state, etc. Multiple table I create has square footage numbers but by different catagory. One table has the square footage numbers for: Main Stock, Perimeter stock, basement stock, etc. Another table has the square footage numbers for: Employee Lounge, Open Office, Managers Office, etc. I have a few more table like this.

In the spreadsheet I'm importing, it has all the square footage numbers for all the areas within the many tables. But it only looks at the current table which has the 12 fields that I shortened it to, even though I tried linking them together, but it won't bring that information in. My original goal was to import text files and can't figure out a way to do that, so if someone could show me how to do that as well, that would be great.  I would really appreciate any assistance with this since I'm new to Filemaker. I've attached images of the database relationship that I have so far and the spreadsheet & text file I'm trying to import in.

Thanks.

Relationship.JPG

Outcomes