4 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2011 1:59 PM by philmodjunk

Linking to an external data source

wbanks

Title

Linking to an external data source

This question is so simple, but maybe there's something about FM that I don't understand.

TBL A contains field UNIQUEID.  TBL B is an external database containing UNIQUEID, FIELD001 and FIELD002.  I don't believe that this matters, but [B].[UNIQUEID] and [B].[FIELD001] are themselves being pulled from a different source.

I've gone through Manage / External Data Sources and added DB B.  As a side note, the FMNET path requires a login and password... which I enter.

TBL B now appears as a choice in Manage Database / Relationships.  I link [A].[UNIQUEID] and [B].[UNIQUEID].

In the layout, I add all fields from both databases.

It's at this point that I expect to enter information into [A].[UNIQUEID] and see the results from the DB B fields... but that's not happening.

Importing the data from TBL B is not an option as it's not static (with the exception of UNIQUEID).

• 1. Re: Linking to an external data source
          philmodjunk

"but [B].[UNIQUEID] and [B].[FIELD001] are themselves being pulled from a different source."

How is this data being "pulled"?

If these are calculation fields, you have an unstored, unindexed field it cannot be used on the "many" side of a relationship like you have here. This has nothing to do with whether the table is internal or external.

• 2. Re: Linking to an external data source
            wbanks

I actually have no idea how any information is being imported into DB B as I didn't create it and (I believe) it's locked to everyone except the creator... also, I have no idea who that is.

The fields aren't calculations, just text fields.

I also thought that there might be an issue with the number of records in DB B, but there are only about 200K.

• 3. Re: Linking to an external data source
              wbanks

I think it's something weird going on with the database.  I just recreated the the same relationship in a new database and it worked perfectly fine.

• 4. Re: Linking to an external data source
                philmodjunk

Since you can enter a log in and password to connect to the file, I would think you could open this file directly with that same log in and password to check its design.

Check to make sure that the data types for the two ID fields are both text and that they contain exactly the same values when they are supposed to match. (even a trailing space in the ID field of one table that's not in the ID field of the matching record in the other field will keep them from matching like they should.)