3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2010 12:36 AM by id21

Linking two databases, getting data

id21

Title

Linking two databases, getting data

Filemaker Pro Advanced 10.0v1.

Quite new to the Filemaker world and confronted with the following difficulty:

We have a script that runs in one database file and gathers some information from the table in the other database file (files/tables are linked correctly through appropriate relationships).  

The problem is that even if we open the other file (open file, hidden) we can't fish the information until we access the table itself in the other file. Could someone please shed some light to this? 

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Linking two databases, getting data
          philmodjunk

"The problem is that even if we open the other file (open file, hidden) we can't fish the information until we access the table itself in the other file. Could someone please shed some light to this? "

Exactly what do you mean by "fish the information"?

How does your script "gather some information"? Is this a find or some other operation?

• 2. Re: Linking two databases, getting data
            dumiya

I am guessing what you want to do.

If the data bases are linked correctly create a portal in the first with selected fields from the second. All being well you should be able to search the second data base from the first. If you have a field in the second that is general like date (or year) that is the match key. If this is empty (or general) in the second and placed in the portal find/sort on date (or year) may find all records in the second database in the first DB that have no date (or have general in common); This may be able for you to 'fish' for records.  You don't have to open the second.   Might be a simpler way

D

• 3. Re: Linking two databases, getting data
              id21

Thank you all and my apologies for not being clear (English is not my native language). The script is very simple, loops through the records in one table, checks the due date (if script step) and then sends email reminders to the persons responsible for the area in question by getting the email address from another file through the relationship (ID of the area, which is present is the first file  is the primary key in the second file). 

Thanks dumiya, I will give it a try.