5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2010 11:53 AM by philmodjunk

Linking two or more databases together via scripts and relationships

kev

Title

Linking two or more databases together via scripts and relationships

Hi there.

I am new to File Maker and really need some help linking two or more datases together.

I work with a Tape Library system and am trying to set up a library database for logging in and out tapes. I also want to create a Tape Labelling System, and a Tape Record Reporting system (slips of paper which go with each tape to detail its contents)

My plan is to link all three databases together, starting with the Tape Labelling Database. I have gotten as far as creating all the required fields etc and would really like to set up a system in which a button on my Tape Label database which would be clicked and my Record Report database would open, and taking the information from my Tape Label database, filling in all the fields. And then from there, another button, logging in the tape into my Tape Library Database.

I have spent quite some time looking into performing scripts and relationships and have managed to teach myself slightly and grasp a basic understanding of how it should work, but I've come to a dead end and am stuck.

I would really appreciate any help that could be given in explaining how to link databases together.

Many thanks.

Kevin.

-

File Maker Pro 10

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

• 1. Re: Linking two or more databases together via scripts and relationships
          philmodjunk

Why not merge all three "systems" into a single file with tables that share data instead of copying data from one to the other? That should be a simpler approach for you to setup.

• 2. Re: Linking two or more databases together via scripts and relationships
            kev

Hi.

Thank you for your reply.

For my Tape Label database, and my Record Report database, I would need to Print them out. The Tape Labels onto perferated A4 sheets of Paper, and for Record Reports onto an A4 sheet of paper.Could this all be done in one database?

Also, Just for the purpose of organisation I would really like to keep all 3 databases seperate.

Many thanks

Kev.

• 3. Re: Linking two or more databases together via scripts and relationships
              philmodjunk

For my Tape Label database, and my Record Report database, I would need to Print them out. The Tape Labels onto perferated A4 sheets of Paper, and for Record Reports onto an A4 sheet of paper.Could this all be done in one database?

Yes, this can all easily be done from one database. Most databases end up with a series of layouts, each designed for printing different sets of fields from different tables and on differing types of paper.

Also, Just for the purpose of organisation I would really like to keep all 3 databases seperate.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that? It's very likely that you can keep the information "separate" yet still have it all in one file with related tables.

• 4. Re: Linking two or more databases together via scripts and relationships
                kev

Yes, this can all easily be done from one database. Most databases end up with a series of layouts, each designed for printing different sets of fields from different tables and on differing types of paper.

Oh, this would actually be more ideal. Is it a possibilty to create multiple Layouts per database??

I have created a database from scratch and it seems it only have one layout, but 3 'views' Thanks for this tip!!

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that? It's very likely that you can keep the information "separate" yet still have it all in one file with related tables.

It would be ideal to keep my Tape Library database seperate from Labels and Record Reports as there would be some instances where Tapes would be logged in and out without needing Labels and Record Reports, and therefore I would like to have a seperate database for logging tapes in and out. However, I would like the databases to be linked in case there would be an instance where I would need all three processes done

Again, many thanks.

Kev.

• 5. Re: Linking two or more databases together via scripts and relationships
                  philmodjunk

Oh, this would actually be more ideal. Is it a possibilty to create multiple Layouts per database??

You can create as many layouts as you need. Simply enter layout mode and choose "new layout".

With regards to keeping your data "separate". You don't need separate database files to do this and it will be simpler to set up if you don't.

You have a variety of ways to control which records are visible on a given layout (such as for a report). I suggest creating a sample file to test out some ideas by creating several tables and linking them. Try entering data and then learn how to perform finds and how to sort the results. (If you don't already know how to do this.)

Read up on Portals in filemaker help. This tool is a major workhorse for working with tables of related data.