1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2013 11:17 PM by schamblee

Links to Internet stop working?

JoeWilson

Title

Links to Internet stop working?

I sent a database via google drive to my client and now the links (Map and Website) will not work. I get the following message:

Screen_shot_2013-08-08_at_7.07.58_PM.png

• 1. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
          davidanders

Sent a FMP file? FMP12? have you done this before with success?

Often, a file needs to be zipped for transmission over the internet.

I do not know if true with Google Drive. Supposedly works with DropBox. Have not tested

• 2. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
            JoeWilson

Sent a FMP file? FMP12? have you done this before with success?

No, this is my first time trying it.

Often, a file needs to be zipped for transmission over the internet.

It was only 20 MB, that is why I didn't zip it.

I do not know if true with Google Drive. Supposedly works with DropBox. Have not teste

I will tried with DropBox and still cannot get map or website links to work.

• 3. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
              philmodjunk

Can you post some examples of the URL code that isn't working?

Simply copying the file to one computer to another shouldn't be a problem unless the links are to locations within the local network and you have copied to a computer located outside that network.

• 4. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                JoeWilson

Here is a screenshot of the code that will not work on the new computer.

• 5. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                  JoeWilson

Just a thought: I created the database on a Mac and transfered it to a PC (the one that's not reading the map or website tabs). Would that cause a problem?

• 6. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                    philmodjunk

FileMaker files can be exchanged between mac and windows with very few issues and I know of none that involve the web viewer.

I suggest putting the above URL expression in a calculation field that returns text and putting it on your layout to confirm that you are looking at a valid address at the time the web viewer fails to connect to the desired location. That can rule out other factors that might be involved.

• 7. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                      JoeWilson

Phil, could you please send me a photo of what you are describing above. I am not sure what you are asking me to do. Again, thank you for the help.

• 8. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                        philmodjunk

I don't think a picture will help much.

Open the dialog where you specified the above calculation.

Copy the calculation to the clipboard.

Then Go to Manage | Database | FIelds and create a new field of type calculation in the same table that is specfiied in Layout Setup | Show records from for this layout.

Paste the copied expression into the specify calculation dialog box.

Select Text as the result type.

Place this field on your layout next to the web viewer. When the web viewer fails to connect to the intended web site, you can check the contents of the calculation field to see if the calculation is currently producing a valid URL or not.

• 9. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                          JoeWilson

The following screenshots is how I understood your directions. Hopefully, I followed your steps correctly.

• 10. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                            JoeWilson

• 11. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                              JoeWilson

• 12. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                                JoeWilson

Yes, when I cut and past the field I get a valid website. Not sure how to interpret that as it relates to the original question.

• 13. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                                  philmodjunk

What it demonstrates is that for a specific case where the map is not appearing, your database is successfully returning values to your calculation. As I said when I suggested this, this is to rule out possible factors which it has now done so.

If this is a windows system, the next test would be to launch Internet Explorer and copy paste the URL from the calculation field into the URL box of the web browser and see if the web site successfully loads in the browser application. That will test the computer's ability to connect to the internet and futher validates that the URL is indeed correct.

If this is a Mac OS, do the same but with Safari.

I don't know if this is still the case in FileMaker 12, but I know from statements made by TSGal that fileMaker 11 for windows uses an Internet Explorer "Web kit" and FMP 11 for Mac uses a Safari "web kit" to implement the web viewer so I am suggesting the nearest thing we can get to that code in order to fully validate the URL.

• 14. Re: Links to Internet stop working?
                                    schamblee

The web address for google maps looks incorrect.  If type www.local.google.com in a web browser it changes to maps.google.com.   The starter solution with filemaker use maps.google.com.   Why not use the same code as in contact starter solution ?  Do you have Filemaker Pro Advance 12? If you have advance you get import the GetMap Custom function into your database from the contact starter solution.

1 2 Previous Next