- Content_Label

- Category_ID

- Level_ID

Liaison :

Category_ID

- Content_ID

- Profile_ID

- Level_ID

I am looking for a way to display all Content_Label records by level using a portal. From my understanding I have to base my Layout on the TABLE (Levels) and link the "Levels Table" (Level_ID) field with "Contents Table" (Level_ID) 

AND display a portal that will show the records from "Contents Table". My issue is can I have check boxes on my portal?

One checkbox per record aligned vertically?

Thanks. 

• 1. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
          philmodjunk

can I have check boxes on my portal?

One checkbox per record aligned vertically?

Define a field in your portal table and give it a check box format. But what you want to show as the value to select for that check box and the purpose for such a check box could be key details you have not specified yet in your post. In some cases, we use buttons that look and act like check boxes, but aren't in order to implement some of those details.

• 2. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
            AbdoulBaldé

Hi, 

On My Check box, based on the Tables listed below, I would like to display all Category_title from the Liaison Table. 

My purpose is to allow user to check the Category (which is in reality a group of contents) he wants and ultimately, I would like to be able to display all of the selected categories on another layout. 

Basically I want to create a library where user can select the contents he wants and then be able to save the selection so that he can access it. (It's like a visit guide:  1- checkboxes to select 2- save selection 3- Display selected items during visit (Read the visit). 

But My main concern as of now is to be able to check several boxes and populate a list of selected contents on another Layout?

Could you please advise?

• 3. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
              philmodjunk

"saving" the selection will be the trickiest part--especially if your database will have multiple users doing this at the same time with the same copy of the database and each needs to "save" selections unique to them. If I understand correctly, you'll need to be able to keep the selections made by one user from being visible to other users and vice versa. Pleae let me know if that's not the case.

How long do you need to "save" this selection? Just until the user closes the file or do they need to be able to find their list of selections when they re-open the file?

Am I correct that each portal record will need the same set of check box options? or do you need a single check box on each row with which to "select" that particular portal row? (both options are possible here.)

• 4. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                AbdoulBaldé

If I understand correctly, you'll need to be able to keep the selections made by one user from being visible to other users and vice versa.

==> Yes but the solution is not server based. Will it change the ability to save the selection? Each user will start with the same FileMaker File but what users do with the file should not affect the other users. 

How long do you need to "save" this selection? Just until the user closes the file or do they need to be able to find their list of selections when they re-open the file?

==> The File will need to be re-open Bascillay I have a section Create a Tour (this is where I want to display checkboxes) and a section Tour Library (where user can view saved selections and launch it). Is it Possible ?

Am I correct that each portal record will need the same set of check box options? or do you need a single check box on each row with which to "select" that particular portal row? (both options are possible here.)

==> Ideally, each portal row (record) should be in checkbox format or if not possible I will have to repeat a checkox next to each portal row.

• 5. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                  philmodjunk

Yes but the solution is not server based. Will it change the ability to save the selection? Each user will start with the same FileMaker File but what users do with the file should not affect the other users.

Does this mean that each user gets their own copy of this file? If so, that tremendously simplifies this issue.

==> Ideally, each portal row (record) should be in checkbox format or if not possible...

That didn't answer my question. You have a "check box format" in either case. The difference is in whether you need to select different multiple categories for each row of your portal or just select them. I think you need a single field with multiple check boxes in that single field.

So far, I don't see the issue here. You should be able to add a text field to your portal's table and format it in the portal as a check box field with a list of values appearing as individual check boxes in that one field. Where do you encounter a problem with such an approach?

• 6. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                    AbdoulBaldé

Does this mean that each user gets their own copy of this file? If so, that tremendously simplifies this issue.

Yes each user get their own copy of the file.

That didn't answer my question. You have a "check box format" in either case. The difference is in whether you need to select different multiple categories for each row of your portal or just select them. I think you need a single field with multiple check boxes in that single field.

No there is not several categories for each portal row. I would like to display each portal row as a checkbox itself

So far, I don't see the issue here. You should be able to add a text field to your portal's table and format it in the portal as a check box field with a list of values appearing as individual check boxes in that one field. Where do you encounter a problem with such an approach?

I am stuck at the Value list level because the Value list for each portal row would be the record itself.

• 7. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                      philmodjunk

Let's back up and try again. Each time I think that I understand what you want, your next set of responses change that understanding.

Please explain how selecting a single check box in the portal is supposed to select that portal record for a "category".

• 8. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                        AbdoulBaldé

I am sorry my explanations are not clear as my understanding of FileMaker is improving but still very limited. 

There will only be one field in my portal (Field = Category)

My portal will display in browse mode the list of all category by Level. 

What I want is to have the field (Category_Title) formatted as a checkbox so that user can select it. 

• 9. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                          philmodjunk

Ok, Define a number field in the portal's table. Define a value list where the number 1 is the only value in the value list. Format this number field as a check box field with this single value value list. Resize the field so that only the check box is visible and the 1 is hidden. Place it in your portal row next to the category title field.

It's likely that you'll want to do something more with these checkboxes once the user can click one to select a portal record. If you have questions about how to use this check box field to get what you need, let me know.

• 10. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                            AbdoulBaldé

Hi, 

Many thanks for the tip. 

Now my issue is to display the selection on another Layout. And then save the layout on which the selected items is displayed in a different menu where there will be a list of saved selections (As if it was different FileMaker files but within the same FileMaker solution).

Please  note that the server is not used and that there will only be a few users each one getting a version of the file. 

To sum up: each user will launch the filemaker file, create its selection based on what he wants to display then save that selection so that he can later access  & "read" the saved selection. Could you please help. 

• 11. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                              philmodjunk

Let's break this down to one step at a time.

Now my issue is to display the selection on another Layout.

Exactly how do you need to display them on that other layout? Do you want to see a list of all such records where the check box has been selected?

Sorted/grouped in what order?

• 12. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                                AbdoulBaldé

On the other Layout I want to display a list of buttons that will open a new window and show the content. 

Currently , each portal record is a Category_Title I would like to be able to display the list of all selected records grouped by Theme . There is only 2 Theme Groups. All selected Records of group 1 first then All selected records of Group 2. 

Also, in the portal where I have created the checkboxes, the records are shown by level. In the Other Layout I would like to have selected records shown grouped by Theme (See above) AND by Level which is already the case in the "Select your contents" LAYOUT.

Many Thanks Again for all your help.

• 13. Re: List of Check boxes in Portal
                                  philmodjunk

So my understanding is that you need a simple list of all records from the portal's table where the check box was clicked to select it.

If so, a script can change layouts and perform a find for all records with a 1 in the check box field.

See this thread for examples of scripted finds: Scripted Find Examples