2 Replies Latest reply on May 12, 2014 1:54 PM by philmodjunk

List of open jobs on layout

lowededwookie

Title

List of open jobs on layout

Hi all,

I'm having a bit of a problem working out how to achieve a list of jobs as a list in a layout.

My need is to have a front screen that lists jobs in a list form much like what's displayed in a portal that displays only the open jobs according to the currently logged in user.

Before I get into the second bit I need to understand how to do the first bit. A portal is going to be useless because that's only going to display at best one entry tied to that particular record which is not what I want because I need it to display ALL records.

I know there is list view but list view is not what I'm after because I want it to be wrapped in a nice looking uniform interface with the rest of the database.

Can someone be good enough to explain how I can achieve this please? I just cannot seem to visualise how this is achieved because I can't see a layout object for what I need. I know the answer is going to be simple.

• 1. Re: List of open jobs on layout
          mgores

A portal filtered by user and status should be able to list all open jobs for that user.

Likewise a layout can be set up to list only the active jobs and user by performing a find, you can script the find to trigger from a button or a layout enter, etc to have it done automatically if you want.

• 2. Re: List of open jobs on layout
            philmodjunk

I know there is list view but list view is not what I'm after because I want it to be wrapped in a nice looking uniform interface with the rest of the database.

And why won't a list view be uniform with the rest of your design?

In terms of function, you have two common options: A portal or a list view to list the records for open jobs for that user. Use a portal and a portal  filter or the relationship between the layout's table and the portal can limit the records listed to those you want to see listed.

Use a list view and you can use a scripted find or Go To Related records to pull up a found set of the records that match what you want the user to see.

A newer and less commonly used option is to place large calculation field that uses ExecuteSQL to list the same data. This can be a field with a scroll bar and tab stops can be specified with tab characters to separate columns of data to produce a result similar to that of a portal--but in a read only format.