7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2013 10:28 AM by philmodjunk

List view jumps to top of page after viewing record

jeffkoay

Title

List view jumps to top of page after viewing record

I have an interesting (and annoying) problem I'm trying to fix.

We are building a database with potentially thousands of records, each with a unique ID number as a part of the record name field. During the creation process of a record, things go as normal, and when I finish the record entry and go back to the list view (sorted by Name field), the list view auto jumps so that the record I just created sits at or near the bottom of the screen. This is wonderful, because I can see what ID numbers I've just entered, the records surrounding it, and what I need to enter next.

However, when I'm just browsing the records trying to find something, if I click on a record, then go back to the list view, it ALWAYS jumps up to the top of the page, basically at record #0001.

This is quite annoying, especially if I don't pay attention to what record ID number I was browsing. For example, if I were looking ID number 0735, go back to the list view and it dumps me at the top record 0001, it takes a long time to scroll down and find the record again.

My question: Is there a way to have filemaker remember where on a list view I've scrolled to, so that when I click on a record and then go back to the list view, it remembers where I was?

• 1. Re: List view jumps to top of page after viewing record
          philmodjunk

Can you describe the method you are using to "view a record"? There's more than one way to do that.

One option might be to open a new window to view the record and to close the new window to return to the list. That should leave your window exactly as you left it.

• 2. Re: List view jumps to top of page after viewing record
            jeffkoay

I am basically using one of the Filemaker 12 default themes. The default layout when you open the database is a list view of all records that have been entered. you simply click on a record, and it takes you to the "project details" layout. When you are done with the record, there is a button to go back to the list view.

These are the same navigation buttons I'm using to go back to the list view when I finish creating a record, yet only when I create a record does the list view stay near the record I was just working on. If I edit a record and go back to the list view, the view also jumps back to the top of the list. However, if I do something like create a new task within the record, going back to the list view keeps the page where the record is. If i delete a task, the list view will jump to the top.

As a last resort I can have records open in new windows, but I'm just trying to see if there's some hidden option or setting I'm missing first.

• 3. Re: List view jumps to top of page after viewing record
              philmodjunk

I can't quite replicate that behavior here in FileMaker 12--Windows 7. If I scroll a list view down to a record not visible until I scrolled down, then click a button with Go to Layout to change layouts to a form view layout, then click another button with go to layout to return to the original layout, the record remains visible on the list layout, but the window has been scrolled to make it the last record visible in the list.

This is one of the reasons I suggested opening a new window as this leaves your original window "unscrolled".

• 4. Re: List view jumps to top of page after viewing record
                jeffkoay

What's the best way of having records open in new windows? I think for ease of use that will have to do. I've toyed with the idea of Modals and such, but i have a very limited filmaker database creation background. 

• 5. Re: List view jumps to top of page after viewing record
                  philmodjunk

Are you using FIleMaker 12?

Will this database be used on windows systems?

FileMaker 12 has new options for windows and the Windows OS can make managing windows in FileMaker a bit of a challenge in some situations.

• 6. Re: List view jumps to top of page after viewing record
                    jeffkoay

The databases will primarily be used on Mac OS, and I'm looking into building out the ipad/browser versions sometime in the future. I searched around and couldn't find any good tuorial writeups about the process.

• 7. Re: List view jumps to top of page after viewing record
                      philmodjunk

Then I must assume that you are using FileMaker 12.

If there is ANY possibility that your system will be used on WIndows, additional scripting may be needed if you set up the system to run with windows maximized. With maximized windows on a WIndows OS, opening a new window changes the size of the original window and thus some scripting is in order to resize that window back out where it needs to be. You can find examples of scripts that open windows and manage the windows/OS differences in the Known Bugs List database.

The basic method is to use a script that uses the New WIndow script step to open the new window to the size and location that you want. There are advanced settings that control the appearance and behavior of the new window. You can make it a floating document window that always floats in front of the other windows or you can make it a modal window that both floats in front and then the user is also kept from interacting with any other windows until the modal window is closed.

Then the next script steps select and configure the layout you want for that new window. Your script can go to a layout and also hide the status toolbar if desired.