3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2015 4:07 PM by philmodjunk

List view with lots of records, any way to have it show as pages?

LeeMoreau

Title

List view with lots of records, any way to have it show as pages?

Hi everyone, when I use Salesforce or other systems, if I do a list view I can set to show 20 records, 50, 100 etc and then click page numbers to move around.  Problem we have in FM 14 is that some of our list views will have maybe 100 records on it, sometimes even 1000 and so it's super slow scrolling and moving around while it keeps loading that data. I did a search and found http://www.filemaker.com/help/html/create_layout.9.17.html but not sure if that's what I need.  I modified the Body part definition and tried selecting Page break after every 10 occurrence but that didn't do anything still just showed 1000 records. Is there any way to accomplish this?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: List view with lots of records, any way to have it show as pages?
          philmodjunk

What you describe trying only affects how printed output from the layout is divided into pages. It won't have any effect on what you see on the layout while in Browse mode.

There are several ways to do what you want, but none are a case where you can just select a setting and then start getting "pages" of data to browse through. They require setting up your own fields, calculations, scripting, etc in order to produce the desired result.

I will note that if you click below or above the "scroll thumb" your list view will jump forward or back one full screen of info and the page up, page down, home and end buttons all work.

Also scrolling a 1000 records shouldn't be "super slow" unless some other factors that are part of your design are also involved.

Have you done any scripting in FileMaker or similar products before?

• 2. Re: List view with lots of records, any way to have it show as pages?
            LeeMoreau

Thanks, I have yes I just wanted to make sure I wasn't reinventing the wheel is all.  It's not that it's super slow, it's just not overly fluid.  I don't have crazy graphics or anything, just colour coded fields and so on.  It's more that say you scroll down a few pages quickly, it takes maybe a second or so to almost refresh the data, where as in Salesforce or whatever any records that load on a page are loaded and scrolling is instant.  Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a plugin or something or something built in that did what I wanted.

• 3. Re: List view with lots of records, any way to have it show as pages?
              philmodjunk

One can never be sure what a plug in can do until you research them.

Some fairly simple options:

If your records have a field that identifies categories, you can put a number of different controls in the header such that selecting a category in the field automatically reduces the records to just those of that category.

It's possible to put all the Primary Key field values into list in a global field or variable. a script can then extract blocks of N records from this list and use Go To Related records to pull up different subsets of the total as your found set. A counter variable or field would serve as a "page number" in order to control which block of values are used to pull up the next or previous "page" of records.

But pressing the page up and page down buttons would seem simpler for many uses.