1 Reply Latest reply on May 1, 2013 3:49 PM by philmodjunk

List-View with dynamic portal size?

bterrell721

Title

List-View with dynamic portal size?

I am building a solution to allow me to create appraisal documents, and I need to be able to display layouts and print reports using this data.  I have a table of Appraisals which contains the client information and has a child table of Items, containing 1 or many items for that particular appraisal document.  Each item record has a child table of Components containing data on individual details about each item in the appraisal.  For my layout I need to be able to display this information in a clean and concise format;  I am using a layout based on Items in List view to show each item and it works great, but in order to display the Components for each item I am having to use a portal.  This portal contains a single field per row, which is one large Text Block that contains merge fields for each field in Components.  This looks great, except that I cannot think of any way to get the portal to size properly depending on the amount of text inside the block of merge fields, which can contain anywhere from 3-10 lines.  This leaves a lot of ugly open white space on my document as sliding does not work for dynamic portal sizes, and since I cannot use a list-view layout of the grandchild table (Components) to display this, I am at a loss as how I can set up a layout for each Appraisal that shows a list of Items each with their own Components nicely formatted.  Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you!

• 1. Re: List-View with dynamic portal size?
          philmodjunk

Appraisals----<Items---?Components

Is there only one Component record for any given item?

If so, do you really need a separate Components table?

If there is never more than one Components record for any given items record, you do not need the portal. You can simply add the field from components directly to your layout.

If there can be multiple components for a given item, base your list view layout on Components rather than items. Fields from Items can then, if you so desire, be used to populate a sub summary layout part to serve as a "sub head" for each list of components.

Either way, the removes the portal and you can use sliding and visibility settings to shrink the field and resize the part to remove unused space when printing/previewing your report.

Key facts about sliding layout objects:

1.           It's only visible in preview mode and when you print/save as PDF...
          3.           Sliding fields will shrink but not expand.
          5.           All layout objects below and in the same layout part as the slide/resize field need to also be set to slide up and resize.
          7.           Objects in headers and footers will not slide.
          9.           Portals will shrink/slide to fit the number of rows of records, but fields within the portal row will not shrink/slide.
          11.           Fields will slide up only if Top alignment is specified for it and will slide left only if Left alignment is specified.
          13.           Consistent side borders are difficult to achieve with sliding fields.