2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 1:49 PM by davidanders

listbox

slemdahrouch

Title

listbox

Hi I'm new to Filemaker.

I'm a Delphi programmer for 10 years. 1 year ago I swticht to Csharp( toke me 1 week to fully understand Csharp. 

Becausse of a customer  who has filemaker, I'm started with filemaker 1 moths ago. And still a can not understand It

why is filemaker not logical.  I have a database which have a Catalog and a artikel table in relation.

a created a layout with a catalog dropdown field  (description) and a portal with al the artikels belong to the catalog.

I like to have each time I klik the dropdown catalog field to select a catalog   to show me the related artikels to that catalog

instead  the value of the catalog field changed to the selected one. whitch result of the artikels not mach the catalog

How to do this ?

artikels.JPG

• 1. Re: listbox
          philmodjunk

Your drop down field is based on the wrong field. The field used to select the category cannot be the same field as that used to identify the category for each record in your articles table.

If you have this relationship:

LayoutTable::Category = Articles::Category

Then LayoutTable::Category is the field to put at the top of your layout formatted with a drop down list for selecting the category.

If LayoutTable and Articles are two Table Occurrences with the same Data Source table, then you must use a different field for category in this relationship::

Table::gSelectcategory = Table 2::Category

Often, a field used like this for the drop down list is given global storage in field options so that different users can select values in the drop downlist without their choices affecting other users.

• 2. Re: listbox
            davidanders

You may find these links useful   http://forums.filemaker.com/posts/f6ed4be796?commentId=222931#222931