AnsweredAssumed Answered

Listing Related Records

Question asked by VanessaWeller on Apr 3, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 3, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Listing Related Records

I am a Filemaker Pro novice, so I imagine there is probably a reasonably simple answer to this question, but I could really use some help figuring it out.  I have a database that contains two tables--one dedicated to storing "Sources" for a documentary, and another dedicated to "Contact" information.  I have made the tables related through the Contacts::Last Name field and the Sources::Keywords field.  I want to be able to show a list on the Contacts layout of related records in the Sources table, but I need this list to be unique for each record in the contacts table.  In other words, I want to show what specific sources are related to each specific contact.  I cannot figure whether I should try to do this through a filtered portal, or if I should set a script trigger for a set field.  I was able to create a button on the Contact layout that enables users to view related Source records--it uses this script:

Set Variable [$name; Value:Contacts::LastName]

Go to Layout ["Sources" (Sources)]

Enter Find Mode[]

Set Field [Sources::Keyords; $name]

Perform Find[]

Go to Related Record [Show only realted records; Match found set; From table: "Sourcs"; Using layout: "Sources" (Sources)]

This script works like a charm.  Is there some way to modify it to simply list the Names of the Related Record?  Or should I try listing them through a portal? 

Outcomes