2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 30, 2010 11:13 AM by sedona_1

Literal Value in Empty Calc Field

sedona_1

Title

Literal Value in Empty Calc Field

This is actually a pretty trivial thing (and I'm sure I'm demonstrating how **bleep** I can be by even mentioning it!), but it's driving me nuts, so here goes...

The issue involves the following 4 fields:

customer

name_company

name_first

name_last

The value in the customer field is either the name of the company OR the concatenation of name_first and name_last, and it's populated by a calculation, as follows:  If (IsEmpty(name_company); name_last & ", " & name_first; name_company)

This actually works perfectly (thanks to my previous post on this forum!), but there's one thing that's really bugging me.  When I go to my layout for creating a new record, the customer field already has that literal comma in it - just the comma, all by itself.  Without messing up the calculation, is there any way I can get rid of that comma until I actually start creating the new record - or should I just learn to ignore it?  (Changing the calc to show the first name first won't allow me to sort and report properly on the customer field.)

I'd love to know if there's anything I can do about this.  If not, though, maybe it won't bother me so much if I know that you talented people can't do anything about it either!

Thanks so much!

Sedona

FM Pro 10 on Win XP Pro SP3