1 Reply Latest reply on Apr 23, 2009 10:32 AM by philmodjunk

Live layout

dhofer

Title

Live layout

Hi

Is it possible to create a layout that would list my contacts one per line, and i want to click on the company field that would than

open up a different layout with the Company detailed information, and also the the same first layout with all my contact one per line

have a search field to search by What ever field, so let say I type in (Hol) it would bring up the ones that start with (Hol)

Would something like that be possible

Darius Hofer

• 1. Re: Live layout
          philmodjunk

Is it possible to create a layout that would list my contacts one per line, and i want to click on the company field that would than

open up a different layout with the Company detailed information,

Yes, you can set up your company field to function as a button. You can create a script for that "button" that switches to the appropriate layout and finds the matching record.

Set variable [$Company, table::companyIDfield]

Go To layout [Yourdetaillayout (your detail table)]

Enter find mode [] // deselect the pause option

Set field [DetailTable::companyID, $company]

Perform find []

After you've created your script, enter find mode, select your company field and choose Format | Button Setup... to set it up as a button to perform this script.

and also the the same first layout with all my contact one per line, have a search field to search by What ever field, so let say I type in (Hol) it would bring up the ones that start with (Hol)

Which version of filemaker are you using? If you are using FMP 10, you can set a script trigger that performs this find when the field is exited. If you are using an older version, you can place a button next to your search field that performs this same script.

I'd make your search field a global field.

This script would work something like this:

Enter Find Mode []

Set Field [yourtable::companyNameField, yourtable::globalsearchfield]

Set Error capture [on]

Perform Find []

Set Error capture [off]

If [get(foundcount) = 0 /* no records found */]

Show Custom Dialog ["No records were found...."]

end if