AnsweredAssumed Answered

Locating specific address in relational table using value list

Question asked by bobg on Aug 20, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 by philmodjunk

Title

Locating specific address in relational table using value list

I'm totally new to FMP (v12).  Done some programming with SQL, C#, so have some understanding of relational databases.  But am totally confused on how to use FMP to do look ups, etc.

Have People table, with People_keyID and things like name, phone...

Have Addresses table with People_keyID link, this table holds multiple addresses (home, work, beach cottage, boy's camp, etc.).  Addresses appear in a Tab window, I can currently display all addresses in multiple rows, but that's not the goal.

Want to have a drop down list that displays all address names (home, work, etc.) for an individul "People" record.  When selected, have the selected address cause a different (Portal?) area of the tab screen show that specific address.

I've tried just the two tables, no luck.  Tried adding a CrossLink table linking People to CrossLink::people_keyID then linking the CrossLink::Address_KeyID to the Address table.  I can make all the relationships work, but cannot get a populated drop down list to cause my selection to display that address in a portal.

Does this even make sense to anyone?  I like FMP, don't want to do it the hard way with C# and SQL, but am having trouble finding examples or tutorials that address these real-world issues.

Thanks,

bob

Outcomes