1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 2, 2010 11:02 AM by philmodjunk

lock a field with a switch

fluffyone

Title

lock a field with a switch

Hi group!

I have some fields that when I push a button they auto fill from some other fields on the same form, however we also manually update them with different data sometimes and if the button is clicked I have it set to ask the user if they are sure they want to update the fields and it asks twice to make sure.

What I would like to do is to lock the fields by clicking a lock button and possibly have a password to unlock the fields.

Is this possible?

Regards Fluffy

• 1. Re: lock a field with a switch
          philmodjunk

Two options:

At the layout level, you can create script triggers that fire when such a field is entered and the script can check the lock field, moving the focus somewhere else if the field is locked. (This won't work well with pop-up/drop down formatted fields as you can enter and select a value before the trigger "fires".)

At the data level, you can move these fields into a table with a one to one relationship linking them to your original table. Then, you can use Record Level Access settings to control whether or not a user can access the fields. You can look up "Editing record access privileges" in FileMaker help, paying close attention to the section titled: "Entering a formula for limiting access on a record-by-record basis" to learn how to set this up.