5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2009 10:01 AM by raybaudi

Lock a field?

flybynight

Title

Lock a field?

I know you can lock an entire record, but is there a way to lock one field of one record?

In the file I have, if the field "Status" = "ValueX" I want the user to be able to modify other parts of that record, but not change the value in the status field. Basically make it so that to change from ValueX to ValueY or ValueZ, the record must be duplicated via a script that runs with admin privileges that changes the value. Need to keep the ability if Status = ValueY or ValueZ, the user can change Status at will.

• 1. Re: Lock a field?
          raybaudi

Hi

make the Status field a button and use a script to evaluate its contents.

• 2. Re: Lock a field?
            flybynight
               My Status field uses radio buttons to set the status. I can make a script that will show a dialog telling the user they cannot change it if it is set to a particular value, but for the other values, the button prevents selection of the other radios.
            • 3. Re: Lock a field?
              raybaudi
                 How many values shows your Status field ?
              • 4. Re: Lock a field?
                flybynight

Right now, 11. The new status option I want to add will make it 12.

I suppose I could make each button have a separate script that would do that check and then if it passed the test, set the status to that button. I already have them broken out into separate radio buttons in some layouts already.

Here is a screen shot of the selections the user has. Maybe that will help.  

The new status I want to add is "Quote" - and if it is a quote, not let the user change it to any of the other status settings. 

• 5. Re: Lock a field?
                  raybaudi

> I already have them broken out into separate radio buttons in some layouts already.

That way ( 12 value lists of one value )

or

placing 12 circle over the unaccessible Status field.

Each circle will be a button ( with its script parameter ) pointing to the same script.